Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

2009 Review #27: I Love You, Man


Rated R
(Language, some crude and sexual)
1 hour 45 minutes

Storyline:
Friendless Peter Klaven goes on a series of man-dates to find a Best Man for his wedding. But when his insta-bond with his new B.F.F. puts a strain on his relationship with his fiancée, can the trio learn to live happily ever after?

Starring:
Paul Rudd
Jason Segel
Rashida Jones

Critics Grade:
B

My Grade:
B+

This movie came out in theaters in March but I'm just now seeing it here in August on DVD thanks to good old Netflix! It's basically another one of those buddy comedies that's a bit on the raunchy side. I keep saying how much I don't care for these types of movies, yet I keep watching them. Mainly because these kinds of movies usually have pretty good stories and some funny performances making me look past the filth. This is by no means in line with movies like Knocked Up or 40 Year Old Virgin in terms of the raunch, but it's still there in parts.

I liked the story here. It's about a guy played by Paul Rudd (40 Year Old Virgin, Role Models) who's about to get married to Rashida Jone's (TV's The Office and Parks & Recreation) character, only to realize he has no close guy friends for his wedding party. He has no one as a best man. So the movie is his quest to find a male friend or two, and eventually finds a guy played by Jason Segel (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, TV's How I Met Your Mother) and they hit it off. The rest of the movie is them becoming good friends and their various hang out sessions.

I thought it was a pretty cool story, and it seemed pretty realistic to me. There are a lot of guys out there who are much better with the ladies and can never truly admit they have a "best guy friend". They exist all over the world. The writing was just great! They really gave these characters a lot of funny things to say and again it all had this feel of reality. Some of the writing was a little filthy of course, there were numerous sexual jokes and plenty of bad language but overall it wasn't that bad. There was a lot of well written humor that was pretty clean. In fact there was more "clean" humor than "filth" humor. Paul Rudd has always been a funny guy, but so far in his attempts at leading roles (for example, Over Her Dead Body) have been pretty feeble. But this time, he really found the perfect role for him. He was absolutely hilarious in this movie. Rudd really has some pitch perfect comedic timing and he was so awkward in this movie that it was just so funny! Jason Segel is basically the same way. He was great in the Sarah Marshall movie, probably a little better than he was here, but he was still very very funny. These two guys worked really well together, and were quite believable as best friends.

Rashida Jones also turned in a good performance, but she wasn't all that comedic, but she was still good. There were also a slew of good cameos. JK Simmons, Andy Samberg, Jon Favreau, Jamie Pressly, Jane Curtin all turned in solid borderline cameo performances. That's another thing I like about these movies. They always have a handful of hilarious supporting characters that circle in and out of the main characters lives. There was no change in that in this movie!

Sometimes I can say a lot about a movie, other times I don't have a whole heck of a lot to say. I thoroughly enjoyed I Love You, Man though. This is a really solid, really well made comedy and for me is probably one of the funniest movies of the year. I can't sit here and recommend this movie to ALL my friends because some of them don't care for this kind of movie, because it is still pretty inappropriate. However, I would suggest this film to all my other friends! It is a very enjoyable flick!

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping this movie would be good because I like Paul Rudd and Jason Segal. Since I don't have Netflix right now, I have to wait till it comes on cable. I will look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah definitely check it out when it comes on cable...might be a few months. But this was a really funny movie for sure! Paul Rudd was so good!

    ReplyDelete