Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

2009 Review #70: (500) Days of Summer



Rated PG-13

(sexual material and language)
1 hour 35 minutes

Storyline:
An offbeat romantic comedy about a woman who doesn't believe true love exists, and the young man who falls for her.

Cast:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Zooey Deschanel

Critics Grade:
A-

My Grade:
A

Well many many months later I have finally jumped aboard the crazy 500 Days of Summer train! The indy romantic dramedy that took the nation by storm earlier in the year. Most people I know have seen this movie, and most people that those people know have seen it. This was a huge success and the film has a massive following. To top it off it got rave reviews from the critics and is now racking up awards every once in a while. It scored two Golden Globe nominations, so that's something big! It may even sneak in the Oscars for a nomination or two. All of this hoopla is incredibly deserving now that I've FINALLY seen the film...I know...it took me FOREVER!

Here's the thing, we see tons and tons of stupid romantic comedies year after year and they have all started to just mesh together and they are basically all the same exact movie over and over. I've been hating the fact that there is no fresh take on the genre, there's never any originality. But now...now there is, with the release of this film. This movie has NO cliches. You don't know how this movie will ultimately end up. These characters are real, not some dolled up Hollywood cliche you see in ever romantic film. These characters have real life feelings and problems. You can relate to both of these characters. Not everything in these characters lives are happy go lucky and have issues that are resolved in a matter of days. These characters were written masterfully and were given some nice quirkiness. You really feel for both people in the movie, even though at times you hate Summer (at least I did).

I've never been in love, I've never even been in a relationship. Granted, it's a bit different for me based off my preference (hehe), but it doesn't mean I can't love anyone...right? Even though some people out there think it's "wrong" for me to love the people I do. But I digress. Even though I've never felt love, I feel like this movie hits relationships on the head perfectly. From the ones I've observed in my life. This film captures the harsh realism of human nature. We all want something more and sometimes it isn't what our boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse, whatever, wants. Sometimes people think they have found "the one" but really they are not the one. This film begs the question, does true really exist? Is fate something of reality and not just fantasy? Do things really happen for a reason? Well by the end of the film, those questions are never 100% answered, because that's how life is. We will never really know the answers to those questions. That's why this movie was so good, because it was so authentic.

Even with all the oddball quirky things thrown in there every once in a while. There was a really neat musical number, and a few other things that took a step out of reality. Still, it remained true to life. It had a very unique style of filmaking. This is just one of the most perfectly crafted films of the year. Amazing original screenplay that Oscar gold is made for! It had a fast pace and never dragged on. It was also really funny at times. There were some hilarious quotes throughout the film. It was just a very fun movie when it wasn't sad and dark hehe. The two main stars, Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Brick, The Lookout) and Zooey Deschanel (The Happening, Elf) were both brilliant. You connect well with both of them. Their performances were so realistic and heartfelt and you kind of feel both of their sorrows as well as their happiness. They relay their emotions well. I really didn't like the Summer character, but that was kind of the point. I mean, at times I thought she was cool, but I hated how crazy and indecisive she was and how much pain she brought to Tom. But again, real life issues so she played it very very well. I think they were some of the most humanistic performances of the year and they both deserve Oscar nominations.

This is easily one of the ten best films of 2009. Not THE best film for me personally, but it ranks up there. Just a near perfect romantic dramedy. I loved almost every moment of it, and I wished it ran longer. This is a fun movie, it's a realistic movie, it's a quirky movie. This is a MUST SEE movie...if you are one of the 7 other people who haven't seen it yet. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Katie and I are amongst the seven. I will have to see if Katie will put it in her queue for Netflix. I have heard nothing but good things about this movie and can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I already advised Katie to rent it. She for sure would love it, as would you more than likely. I put my Netflix account on hold, but that movie will for sure be a VERY LONG WAIT lol. I got it on On Demand on Cox. Great flick!!

    ReplyDelete