Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2009

2009 Review #72: Sherlock Holmes


Sherlock Holmes

Rated PG-13
(intense sequences of violence and action, some startling images and a scene of suggestive material)
2 hours 8 minutes

Storyline:
Detective Sherlock Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson engage in a battle of wits and brawn with a nemesis whose plot is a threat to all of England.

Starring:
Robert Downey Jr.
Jude Law
Rachel McAdams
Mark Strong

Critics Grade:
B-
(Consensus:Guy Ritchie's directorial style might not be quite the best fit for an update on the legendary detective, but Sherlock Holmes benefits from the elementary appeal of a strong performance by Robert Downey, Jr.)

My Grade:
A-

It's elementary my dear Watson, elementary! Well that line is never actually uttered in this film, but we all know it from the Sherlock Holmes stories and films from yesteryear. During a time where film's didn't have the capabilities to be flashy and explosive. The days when a good mystery film were all about story and characters. Flash forward now to 2009 and cinematic techniques have reached all new levels and old stories like Sherlock Holmes can get a serious face lift. Most of the time, when you take a classy mystery character/storyline from way back when and blend it with today's film style, usually you get crap. However in the case of Sherlock Holmes...you have near entertainment perfection in almost every sense of the word.

This film is not a masterpiece. This film is not amazing. This film is not really best picture quality. But this film is damn exciting and fast paced. This film is non stop fun and entertainment. I loved the 2009 version of Sherlock Holmes. A film series like this definitely benefits from the new Hollywood-ized film styles. Guy Ritchie directed the film and really didn't hold anything back. He didn't just make a standard whodunit mystery that focuses solely on the characters. He created this brilliantly exuberant world to immerse ourselves into to make us feel like we are part of the story. Everything about his filmaking style here is incredible to watch. It's just bang bang bang and he never lets the pacing slow down. He captures the essence of Sherlock Holmes eccentric personality and amplifies it throughout the whole film. It resonates in the action and the story. He did a great job at handling this film.

You don't really think of Sherlock Holmes and explosive action do you? I never did, and I honestly did not think the two would work well together. I'm glad I was wrong. I'm glad they made Sherlock and Watson these kick ass detectives who aren't afraid to battle with guys who should be in the NFL. It was never to much or to over the top though, which was good. But this movie had some really fun action sequences. I really got into them and at times felt a bit tense. I knew that Holmes or Watson wouldn't die of course, but still it was fun! These scenes, as was the whole film, were accented by a brilliant musical score! One of the best I've heard this year. The scoring was action packed all itself and I freaking loved it! Yes I'm the nerd who enjoys good background music in a movie...think about it...if the music sucked or didn't fit the scene right...the movie would suffer, you all know it. You all love musical scores in film, just most of the time you don't typically notice it or it doesn't stand out to you. To me...it does.

The writing was good, but not great. The mystery in the story was told rather well but at times got a tad overwhelming and it lost me at a few points. There were times where I was quite sure what the big crime was going to be or what Sherlock Holmes and crew were really trying to stop from happening. I don't know if they ever really stressed on that aspect, or maybe I just missed it...very possible. I mean yes, I knew what the bad guy's/gal's plan was I guess what I'm saying was I didn't get how he planned to make it all work and what overall effect he/she was going for. I also didn't care to much for the side storyline involving Rachel McAdams character having secret meetings with a man shrouded in darkness (literally). I thought this was going to lead to some big reveal or twist in the end, but it doesn't really. That kind of falls flat...at least for me. I know they were probably setting up a sequel of sorts, but not much was really explored in that territory. We knew what the secret person wanted, but I don't know...I just didn't see the relevance of that storyline in the end.

Mark Strong (Stardust, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day)plays a pretty good villain. He wasn't to flashly like there was the serious potential of him being. He plays the bad guy pretty convincingly. Rachel McAdams (Mean Girls, The Notebook) was fun as usual, she's never really had a truly stand out performance and she doesn't here either. But she was good as the mysterious woman who may or may not be on the good guys team. Oscar nominee Jude Law (The Talented Mr. Ripley, Cold Mountain) was a superb balance to Oscar nominee Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder, Iron Man). He gave Dr. Watson some much needed life and energy that I just loved. Law has always been a good actor, and he was so here again. Robert Downey Jr. is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. The guy has become so damn reliable all of a sudden. He plays Holmes perfectly, he was the right choice for this role for sure. He gives Sherlock Homes some charm, some lovable qualities, some not so lovable ones, he rounds out this guy really well. Just a great, solid performance once again!

Overall this is very fun movie for the holidays! It was just great entertainment that I loved from beginning to end. It could have used a more clear cut screenplay with a slightly better storyline direction, but I mean it wasn't bad at all. Just not very concise. But who cares right? This is cool movie to go out and see with friends and family! I highly recommend it to anyone!

Happy Holidays!!

1 comment: