Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

2010 Review #13: Robin Hood



Rated PG-13
2 hours 20 minutes

Storyline:
The story of an archer in the army of Richard Coeur de Lion who fights against the Norman invaders and becomes the legendary hero known as Robin Hood.

Cast:
Russell Crowe
Cate Blanchett
Mark Strong
William Hurt

Critics Grade
:
D-
(Consensus: Ridley Scott's revisionist take on this oft-told tale offers some fine acting and a few gripping action sequences, but it's missing the thrill of adventure that made Robin Hood a legend in the first place)

My Grade
:
B-

We have yet another version of the timeless classic folks tale, Robin Hood. Actually this movie is more of a prequel to all of the other versions of the story we have seen. This is the "how did Robin Hood become Robin Hood back story". I actually wasn't thrilled to see this movie, the previews for it never truly grabbed my undying attention. Plus I've never been a big fan or follower of Oscar winner Russell Crowe (Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind). But now he has teamed up once again with Oscar nominated director Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down) to create another Gladiator-esque film.

Let's face it, you are kidding yourself if you think this movie doesn't share a lot of similarities to the best picture winner, Gladiator - a film I recently watched for the first time and is a MUCH better film than Robin Hood. They have the same style, the stories kind of have a similar feel to them. I honestly thought I was watching a dumbed down, PG-13 version of Gladiator the whole time. Don't get me wrong, Robin Hood is not a BAD movie...it just isn't Robin Hood. Robin Hood is supposed to be full of adventure, it's supposed to be fun. This version is completely opposite of what I know of Robin Hood. This film is so dramatic and very light on the comedic aspects of the character. Russell Crowe isn't known for his sense of humor, so in that sense I think he was a poor chance to play the iconic role. The film has quite the epic feel to it, it kind of falls in line with Gladiator in that sense and even reminds me of Lord of the Rings at times. This story is supposed to have some kick to it, it's supposed to provide entertainment. I think this film lacks most of those qualities.

Like I said though, this movie is not bad. If Robin Hood was always intended to be an epic, dramatic tale, this movie would be amazing. What Ridley Scott and his writers did here was pretty much remove the heart and soul of the classic tale and added their own flavors into the mix. Not bad flavors, just not ones that enhanced the taste of Robin Hood...the taste we all know and love. Actually the flavors he added...made the whole thing kind of bland. HOWEVER, if this is a stand alone film, and it was supposed to be epic, that it had everything right. Story wise, I just don't think they hit a home run there. Where this movie lacked the most was story. You never really got to much of an insight into any of these characters and never do you really feel for any of them, especially Robin Hood. His back story was told rather abruptly and lazily if you ask me.

The film making here was damn near brilliant. Beautiful camera shots, and incredibly addicting musical score and this really looked like the world of Nottingham. I mean the pieces were all there on a technical standpoint. This whole movie looked absolutely stunning and at times breathtaking. The action sequences were exciting and chilling and got your heart racing. Although there were moments where the action kind of just fell flat way to quick. But for the most part it was really well done.

This movie also has some good performances. Russell Crowe has never been my cup of tea, but I won't deny that he's good at his craft. But he is not Robin Hood, I'm sorry. He was GOOD performance wise, but he brings NOTHING to the table with this character. Robin Hood is supposed to have some charisma in him, but Crowe plays him rather dully. I feel like Robin Hood didn't have much really going on in this movie for long periods of time, I kinda feel like he was just there, and that was it. This tale is about him, but there was so much else going on it took away from him. I like Oscar winner Cate Blanchett (Aviator, Lord of the Rings) and she plays pretty good Maid Marion and I liked her in the movie. Her performance though was always one note and quite subdued. Mark Strong has been typecast as the villain now I think. Well he plays this villain pretty convincingly, but I hated his look. He looked kind of like a poor man's Lord Voldemort and at times looked pretty silly. The rest of the cast all did quite a stand up job. I think the best performance in the film was by far from supporting actor, Oscar nominee, Max Von Sydow (Minority Report, Shutter Island).

So I think I just have very mixed feelings about this movie. In most aspects, this is a very good movie. It is extremely well made and looks gorgeous. The performances are all pretty good. It just lacks severely in storytelling and it took the meaty part of the tale away from the original concept. Robin Hood is not meant to be epic and overly dramatic. I love epic films, believe you me, but not in this particular case. This movie was way to heavy handed and dark. It just didn't work for this story. However, this is still a good movie from a film making standpoint. The story is not AWFUL either. Just...I don't know...it's all so...eh. I honestly will forget about this movie by years end. I say go see it, but I can't guarantee you will love it. I sure didn't.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I was wondering what could be done with this... I really liked the one before the last one made. Of course my mind is a blank right now... but I'm getting way to far behind on my blog reading to wait for my brain to fully engage.

    Seems like it was ? I want to say Kevin Costner and the guy who plays God all the time, playing a Moor. Sean Connery played King Richard.

    ReplyDelete