Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Movie Review 5-Fer! Eclipse, Predators, and MORE!

Just been busy once again...so here's a collection of reviews of the 5 movies I've seen recently!

#24: The Last Airbender. Starring Noah Ringer and Dev Patel. Rated PG. 1 hour 43 minutes. The Critics give this film an F-. I give this film an F-. Remember when M. Night Shymalan made good movies?? It's almost hard to fathom after his crap fest The Happening. I didn't think he could get any worse than that. I was wrong. Now to his credit, this is not one of his original concepts, this film is based off an animated series titled Avatar (which could not be used for obvious reasons). This is probably the type of thing that should have stayed animated...it probably might have been better. This movie was hands down the worst movie I've seen this year. Without a doubt one of the worst movies I've seen in the past 10 years (along with The Happening). The kids in this movie are ATROCIOUS at acting!! M. Night directed an Oscar nominated child actor in 1999...you think he would know what to do with kids...guess not. I wasn't expecting much from them...but dear God they were unbearable to watch. It's as if they were reading cue cards the whole movie. To their credit though, the writing was laughable and just painful to sit through. The special effects were all over the place but it DID have some cool effect shots (the final water shot was actually pretty cool). The story was dumb, I didn't care about anyone. I don't know...this was just a stupid ass movie that I don't even know if many kids would enjoy. But this is just my opinion.

#25: Under the Sea: The IMAX Experience. Narrated by Jim Carrey. Rated G. 45 minutes. The Critics gave this film an A+. I give this film an A. This is a great documentary about the sea animals that live the Australian Reef. It is short, but so great! I love documentaries about animals, and this is a wonderful little treat! Narrated perfectly by Jim Carrey and I really learned a lot about these beautiful creatures. I wish it was a bit longer though so I could see more of these intricate little beings we don't even see or hear about. But otherwise...this is a brilliant little sea animal documentary.

#26: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. Starring Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. Rated PG-13. 2 hours 4 minutes. The Critics gave this film a D+. I give this film a D. I saw the first Twilight movie and honestly it was one of the most poorly made, stupidest movies I've seen in a while. I never bothered to see New Moon. I saw this movie because I was hanging out with a friend, and this is just what we chose. I have to say that film making wise, this movie is a LARGE improvement over the first film. It looked a lot sleeker and was much more clean and darker. That however..changed nothing about the story and the acting. The acting was like watching paint dry. These lead actors are just so bad and so boring. I think Stewart is clinically depressed because it shines through all her performances. I am SO not a fan of her. Also her character is dreadful and quite honestly...a bit of a whore. The rest of them are so blah. While I may have been a fan of Taylor Lautner with his shirt...I feel like he was half naked WAY to much and it just became obnoxious. I don't get the love for the story...because to me it's just so boring. The love story is not one of the best like people keep saying it is. Other than the vampire/werewolf thing...it's not that original of a concept. No...I was not a fan of Eclipse. But it wasn't the worst thing I've seen.

#27. Youth in Revolt. Starring Michael Cera. Rated R. 1 hour 30 minutes. The Critics give this film a C+. I give this film a B. I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie. I was starting to think that Michael Cera's performance were all blending together and there was nothing different about them. Not much is different here, but it's a slightly different side to this character he keeps playing. The subject material is actually pretty cool, but there wasn't enough of this "duel persona" I would have liked to see more done with that. But oh well. This is a pretty funny movie, lead by a good performance by Cera. The humor is definitely dark and pretty raunchy. I'm not always a fan of dirty comedy...but it's OK here. Because the writing is well done and it's not full of raunch. It's a pretty sweet romantic comedy, and I would recommend it to people.

#28: Predators. Starring Adrian Brody and Alice Braga. Rated R. 1 hour 46 minutes. The Critics gave this film a C. I give this film a A-. "Holy Shit" alert: I've never seen the original Predator or any of it's sequels. I have no idea what the base story is, so this is a whole new experience for me. I have to say...this was actually a really entertaining action movie. What I liked is that it started right away, no build up at all. It literally starts with them thrown down to this mysterious planet and then BAM! There was rarely every a dull moment. This was non stop kick ass action that I was really into. I don't have much bad to say about it actually. Because you aren't here to experience a solid story. You don't expect good acting, which actually the acting is pretty good. Adrian Brody does pretty well as an action hero...I was a bit surprised. To anyone who enjoys solid action I would totally say this movie is for you! I very much liked it!

And what was the best movie of the bunch?? I say..."Predators". Yup!

2 comments:

  1. Great reviews... What is up with M. Night anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know...the guy is slipping. He used to be one of the most inventive writer/directors in town...now...he's just making crap. Maybe he got overly confident. He has a new secret project in the works starring Bruce Willis...but no one knows what it's about...

    ReplyDelete