Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

2010 Review Extravaganza! "You Again", "The Tilman Story" and more!

OK so I have 6 movie reviews do to because I have been buy these past 2 weeks....mainly watching movies! And today I'm going to probably go see "The Social Network" and "Let Me In" so I wanted to bust out these 6 reviews so as I don't get to far behind. Now I don't have the time now to write long reviews for these movies so I'm just gonna do the bare minimum this time, my apologies!

#65: You Again. A new family comedy starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Sigourney Weaver. Yes...also has Betty freaking White! I love Betty White don't get me wrong...but I don't get this crazy hooplah over her right now. But whatever. She can't save this train wreck of a movie. No one could. It was awful, almost painful to sit through. One of the worst movies I've seen this year so far. It wasn't funny to me at all. A story that could have been potentially decent was ruined by bad screenwriting, to much physical comedy, and ridiculous musical score and no heart whatsoever. Some bad performances thrown in and this, to me, was a piece of crap movie. Some people may like it...but not me. Not me at all. Critics Grade: 15%. My Grade: F.

#66: Fred: The Movie! I have a confession to make: I've seen most of Fred's YouTube video's. He is the YouTube sensation that has a lot of followers and a lot of video views. No one knows why this kid is so popular but kids seem to love him. All he does is quick 3 minutes videos of him in (sometimes) funny situations and he changes his voice to make him sound like a chipmunk who just sucked some helium. I'll admit...I laugh sometimes at his videos, but for the most part they are pretty stupid. But my niece wanted me to record this movie (which debuted on Nickelodeon) and so...I decided to watch it on my own one day when I was bored. This will not qualify for my top or bottom 10 lists or any of my main category awards, as this is a straight to TV movie. It pains me to say...that I laughed about 7 or 8 times while watching this movie. The kid sometimes has good comedic timing. He's "good" at what he does. The movie is silly, but kids will love it. They also tone his squeaky voice down a tad which is nice and easy on the ears. I don't know...I didn't really like this movie much, but I laughed and at times the story was kinda "sweet"...so I didn't hate it like I thought I would. No Critics Grade. My Grade: C.

#67: The Virginity Hit. A fake documentary told through the lens of a crappy digital video camera. That's supposed to add to the realism...and I suppose it's effective. This whole movie is like a faux documentary ripoff of "Superbad". That movie was much more funny and had a much better story to tell. Obviously. It was me and like 5 other people in the theater, which just made me feel weird to begin with. The whole movie was pretty awkward and pretty sexual. The idea behind the whole movie (following an 18 year old boy trying to lose his virginity) is a bit disturbing to begin with so everything that happens in the movie just adds to that. I mean it wasn't a terrible movie. It had some believable performances, you actually believe these to be real just out of high school kids. It had some funny moments. But overall it just wasn't all that good to me. It just left me feeling strange for having watched it. To me, it wasn't a bad movie but it's definitely completely forgettable and one that I think can be skipped over. Critics Grade: 29%. My Grade: C-.

#68: Temple Grandin. This is a true story of an autistic woman who became popular in the 60's and 70's. She doesn't interact well with people and doesn't understand a lot of things. She can see everything in pictures and can memorize a page of a book after just looking at it for a few seconds. She designed a method to create a calm environment for cattle as they are being led to slaughter. This movie follows her journey and what an interesting tale it was to watch. This is an incredible woman and I'm happy they made a film to show us her life. Such a well made movie (by the way it's another made for TV movie on HBO - now on DVD) in every which way. Great performances from the whole cast. Claire Danes gets lost in this character of Temple. You don't see Danes at all. It was a brilliant performance and one to be remembered. This was just such a great film! It won a handful of Emmy Awards not to long ago including Best Actress and Best Made for TV Movie. No Critics Grade. My Grade: A.

#69: The Special Relationship. I was on a roll with made for TV movies. This one also was on HBO. It tells the story of the bond between President Bill Clinton and Prime Minister Tony Blair. A lot of the movie focuses on the Monica Lewinsky time line. There is also some political aspects thrown into the story of course (which unfortunately I always have a hard time following - I'm never been into politics). I think overall this was a solid movie, not one I really liked but overall it was enjoyable. I think Dennis Quaid does a great job portraying Clinton. The rest of the cast is also very good and all deserved their Emmy nominations a month ago. Not much more to really say. It was a good movie, but I personally didn't love it. Good though. No Critics Grade. My Grade: B.

#70: The Tillman Story. This is a documentary that chronicles the story of the Pat Tilman tragedy. The Arizona Cardinals football player who turned down a big NFL contract to enlist in the military. A few years later he would be killed by friendly fire that was initially covered up by the military and Government. His family, led by his fantastic mother, would never back down until the truth finally comes out. The fought and fought to get the military to admit what actually happened. To this day, they don't have the whole story. I won't go into detail about everything, that's why you need to see the documentary. But this was a FANTASTIC documentary that was very informative. I knew what was going on as it was going on, but I never kept following the story so now I'm all caught up. What I liked was that this documentary didn't not try to pull at the heart strings of the people watching. It chronicled the family's anger, disappointment, confusion and feeling of emptiness. We all know how tragic and sad this was, but we are supposed to feel pissed off over the cover up. That's what I got from this movie. I mean this movie was just amazing. It really captured this family's journey to the truth quite brilliantly I thought. Just see the documentary...it's really good! Critics Grade: 91%. My Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment