Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Best Films of 2011! (UPDATED 01/09/12)

I had a very small sample size this year in terms of movies. However, it turns out a large portion of them were good movies in my eyes. Probably because I didn't race out to see every movie known to man, just the ones that peaked my interest. But alas, I can still make my top ten films of 2011. Keep in my mind, I did not see most of the Oscar bait movies this year, but not to my choosing. I just could not afford a lot this year. So here we go, in order:

TOP TEN FILMS OF 2011

10. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Probably the most entertaining action film of the year. I was quite surprised by how good the movie actually was. I never saw the first two, but I did see the third one, and this one was by far better. Non stop action with some pretty spectacular stunts. Tom Cruise is momentarily back in form and the rest of the cast was a lot of fun. I saw it in IMAX, and visually it was stunning but audio wise...way to loud...almost lost my hearing.

9. Carnage
A movie based off a play, which reflects in the film itself. There is only set, and only four actors. All four actors deliver BIG in this movie, but namely the two leading ladies, Kate Winslet and Jodie Foster. Both give very manic and brilliant performances that had me laughing. John C. Reily and Christoph Waltz were superb counterparts. This movie was a riot and I loved every second of it. Probably not for everyone, because it is a bit claustrophobic. But I highly recommend it.

8. Crazy, Stupid, Love
Wow. What a great little movie that I never expected to be that good. It looked like a rom-com but it certainly was not. It more of a dark romantic dramedy. I think the cast is what made this movie what it was. Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Julianne Moore were all fabulous and the story was interesting enough to keep this hater of romantic movies glued to the screen. It was funny, it was sweet, it was all around entertaining and it's a movie that I could watch again.

7. Rango
Easily the best animated film of 2011, and I did see a few of them. I think it was more of an adult oriented tale but kids could definitely find it fun as well. The animation was awesome. Johnny Depp rocked it as the lead lizard. I just loved the story and it had some really funny, memorable moments. I loved this movie. 

6. Super 8
This is the movie that was all the rage when it first came out earlier this summer, but now people seemed to have forgotten it even came out. There was a time when people believed this was a true Best Picture nominee..but that hope has all but faded. I still remember it though, and dammit I found this to be one of the most enchanting sci-fi films in recent memory. It was nostalgic of movies like The Goonies, and maybe a little E.T. and Close Encounters. The kids were the main focus of the film, and man they were all pretty amazing. They carried the film. Really well written screenplay, and fantastic directing. I liked that we didn't really see the alien for most of the film. The ending, some people didn't care for, it was a bit anti climatic, but for this film, I thought it was perfect. A must see 2011 movie.

5. Bridesmaids
It took me a while to jump on board this unstoppable train. I finally saw this movie just a few weeks ago on DVD. Holy crap...was this a hilarious effing movie or what? Hands down the funniest movie of 2011. Nothing even comes close. Kristen Wiig dominates her first real leading funny lady role. The big star here though, one who I truly believes deserves an Oscar Nomination (and it is NOT at all far fetched) is Melissa McCarthy who steals every second she is in the movie. She was brilliant. This movie was just fantastic.

4. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I have to admit something. I have never seen any other Planet of the Apes before this one. So coming into this film, I'm brand new to the franchise. I thought it would be cheesy due to the nature of it's premise and the last Apes movie starred Mark Wahlberg and was panned by everyone. But low and behold what we have here is easily one of the finest made films of the year. Perfect blend of action, story and drama. Andy Serkis plays another motion capture performance as Caesar the Ape. It's unbelievable how good of a performance this man can give when he doesn't even appear on screen as himself. He barely speaks at all in this movie and yet it was one of the most convincing performances of the year (from what I was able to see this year). Awesome movie. 

3. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows: Part II
I'll keep this one simple. THIS is how you end a film franchise. THIS was the perfect way to complete a brilliant saga. The best Potter film of the franchise by far.

2. Moneyball
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill (shocker!) are pitch perfect in their roles and both deserve major Oscar attention. I love baseball. This movie though is more about the people involved then the physical game itself. It is probably one of the best sports movies I've seen. 

1. Hugo.
I was SO surprised by how amazing Hugo was as a film. I wouldn't believe that a kid friendly, 3D movies made by freakin' Martin Scorccese could possibly be this groundbreaking and beautiful of a movie. The 3D actually is effective FOR ONCE! It helps immerse yourself in this world to a level I've never seen before. This is a movie about the love of cinema. It's about a little boy and his friend going on an emotional journey together and helping a lost man remember his passion. It's a film that is dedicated to films of years past and was the best movie of 2011...for me. I was so happy while watching this movie. 

Best Lead Male Performance of the Year:
Brad Pitt for Moneyball

Best Lead Female Performance of the Year:
Kate Winslet for Carnage


Best Supporting Male Performance of the Year:
George Clooney for The Ides of March


Best Supporting Female Performance of the Year:
Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids

Best Director:
Martin Scorcesse for Hugo

Best Writing:
Moneyball

Best Film:
Hugo

Best Animated Film:
Rango

Best Action Film:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Best Comedy:
Bridesmaids

Best Editing:
Hugo

Best Score:
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows: Part II

Best Special Effects:
Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon





2 comments:

  1. Yay, Mikey is back! I don't get to see as many movies as you so I enjoy reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And I'm glad to be back! Tell all your blogger friends to follow me and I will do the same to them! More readers...the more I'll stay inspired to keep going lol.

    ReplyDelete