Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hollywood is a Business: Lack of Originality in Film




"Sometimes to make a quick buck, you have got to shit all over the classics"

We go to the movie theater to be entertained, I get that. But how many times do we have to sit down in our seats, get comfortable, and wait for those lights to dim and anticipate the trailers only to see preview for remake after reboot? They show an average of 6 or 7 trailers per film these days and I feel that at least 2 or 3 of them are for movies we have already seen in the past. Whether it be a remake or a reboot or quite literally...a movie we've already sat in a theater in watched. What the hell is going on the past few years over in Hollywood?


And yes I know I'm standing on a soap box, but before I have to hear people bitch at me, let me start by saying that yes, I'm well aware I'm not a film maker so I don't how it is. Here's the thing: I have never claimed to be a film maker but I am part of the target audience these people make movies for. Also, they are paid hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars to make movies. Actors are paid millions of dollars to play a glorified version of dress up and make believe. So if that's going to be the case, at least attempt to produce a product that hasn't been done before. I'm not talking about films that use similar tones and ideas as other movies, because that is going to happen until the end of time. I mean...STOP taking old movies and making them fresh and new, because 95% of the time, it fails.


In 2012 we will see the release of "The Amazing Spiderman". This film is a direct reboot of Spiderman which came out in 2002, which was only ten years ago. The universally panned "Spiderman 3" came out just 5 years ago in 2007. Is it really time for a reboot already? Am I going to see "The Amazing Spiderman"? Yeah, of course, because I try to see as many movies as I can. I know that sounds like I'm eating my own words, but I don't care. Yes, I will still go see some of these remakes, reboots, whatever, but because that's pretty much all we have left to see anymore. Just because I hate the idea of it, doesn't mean I won't see them. I wish so badly for the return of fresh, original concepts in film. No, I can't do any better, but that's why I work at a credit union for $12 an hour and not in Hollywood. That's why I'm in front of the screen, and not in it.


Not to say that all these remakes fail, some I will admit are necessary. Take for example "The Incredible Hulk" back in 2008. It was a reboot of "Hulk" from back in 2003. I think most people who saw the original film can admit that it was pretty much a train wreck. There wasn't much of a redeeming quality to it at all. "The Incredible Hulk" was miles bigger and better. It had a much better cast and it proved that SOMETIMES reboots are OK. A movie that did NOT need a reboot, "Halloween". Arguably, the 1978 horror classic "Halloween" is one of the greatest horror films ever made. It's scares were subtle and real. It provoked frightening nightmares for that whole generation. In 2007 Rob Zombie decided to give the film a fresh, modern day face and I feel it backfired horribly. It was to big, to gory, and just to weird. Some people, like my brother, who also a fan of the original, enjoyed the remake. Maybe I'm in the minority with that one. But why take something that was simple and scary more for the atmosphere and not the jumps and blood and turn it into this big ugly production? I heard a rumor they are planning a remake of the 1982 haunted house classic "Poltergeist" and I damn near vomited. But then I realized it's just a movie, so no need to over react. But still, please, leave classics as classics. Don't tarnish their reputable reputation.



"Batman Begins", "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises" are fantastic examples of brilliant remakes. The original "Batman" was good, but those sequels were just damn silly. But at least there was 20 or so year gap between the original and remake. My point with reboots/remakes is that there should honestly be a limit on when people are allowed to do each year. Because we are becoming bombarded with these things, more and more each year and it's getting annoying. It's nice when you see the good ones, another example is "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" from just last year. But Hollywood should have a cap. Maybe allow 1 remake for every 50 original films. Original meaning not a direct remake or reboot. Or maybe just leave it to 5 a year, and chose wisely. Because yes, we get a lot of good ones, but there are also so many stupid ones: "The Fog", "The Planet of the Apes" (2001), "Psycho", "Poseidon", "A Nightmare on Elm Street", "Halloween", "Halloween II", "One Missed Call", "Prom Night", "When a Stranger Calls", "Friday the 13th", "The Wicker Man" "Godzilla" (1998), "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Piranha 3D", "Clash of the Titans", "The Grudge", "The Omen"....just to name a few.

Another thing that pisses me off is when movies that already came out are re-released in theaters. This is becoming a trend lately. If I have to see one more god damn re-release of a Star Wars movie I'm going to flip! "The Phantom Menace" is currently in theaters as a 3D re-release. Jesus George Lucas, do you have nothing better to do than rehash all your old crap, because Phantom Menace was crap, and force us to watch it again and again and again. He has made enough money of the 6 "Star Wars" films to last 4 lifetimes, yet he keeps shoveling out this recycled crap to make more and more money. Disney is also becoming popular for this. I think they have re-released "The Lion King" at least twice now. They just recently put "Beauty in the Beast" back out there in 3D. James Cameron is sailing "Titanic" back out in the icy theatrical waters again in 3D to mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the ship. But really, it's to make more money.


3D has become a beautiful vessel for movies of years past to come back out in the world once again. 99.99% of the time, the 3D altercations does nothing to make the movie look any different. I am a big hater of 3D though. I swear to holy Christ, I think half of the movies that come out are in "mind bending, eye popping, explosive 3D." A lot of the times it's horror movies and kid movies that take advantage of this. But now action films are getting this honor and I won't be surprised if the next Meryl Streep independent drama will be be in 3D either. It's become a money grubbing gimmick. Theaters charge upwards of $5 more a ticket just to see it 3D. God forbid you want to see it in IMAX AND 3D...then you are looking at upwards of $8-$10 more a ticket depending on where you live. Movies used to cost $7.50 and that was it. Now it's just crazy. Also, back in the day, when 3D was in movies, it was usually in a couple scenes and not the whole movie. You had to dawn those radical and flimsy paper red and blue glasses and things literally jumped out of the screen. Present day 3D doesn't have that effect. Now it's more about depth perception, making you feel part of the world. That works occasionally, most memorably for me in the 2011 film "Hugo". We pay extra money though, to create depth perception we never really cared about seeing. We want things all up in our grill.


All of this though is to prove that Hollywood is become a business more and more each year. It used to be about movies and entertaining. That was the primary focus. It was a passion, a love for cinema. Nowadays the passion is slowly seeping it's way out to make room for mediocre films that we've already seen. Movie studios are more about who can make the most money and who cares what crap movies they peddle out to us, because they know we will see it. And it's true, we will see it all. Hell, I'll see it. I may hate it, but I'll still go because I love movies. And if this is the new direction of film, then it's very very sad...but I can't give up my love of film. We still get movies like "The Artist" and "Hugo" each year. Genuinely great, original films...but most movie goers don't want that so they make no money. This is why people like me have to sit through the rest of the garbage and be patient to get to the far and few between good stuff.

Anyway, that was my silly rant about Hollywood and the present state of movies. You can judge me all you want, and I don't care, HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment