Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

2009 Review #35: The Informant


The Informant

Rated R
(Language)
1 hour 48 minutes

Storyline:
The U.S. government decides to go after an agri-business giant with a price-fixing accusation, based on the evidence submitted by their star witness, vice president turned informant Mark Whitacre.

Starring:
Matt Damon
Scott Bakula
Joel Mchale

Critics Grade:
B

My Grade:
B-

OK I have to apologize in advance. This is going to be a short review and probably not one of my best. I have had a very busy, crazy week working two jobs and not getting a lot of sleep and I have the same kind of week for this coming week. So I won't be able to dedicate a lot of time to writing detailed reviews...because I'm just exhausted!

I was never really really wanting to see this movie, but I heard enough good things about it that finally I caved in and said...OK I'll go. If I'm being honest, I thought this was a good movie but I thought it was far from a great movie...in my eyes. Other people really enjoyed it, I heard a group of people in my theater saying how awesome it was to them after it was over. For me though, and maybe it was because I'm so tired, this movie sort of dragged a lot. There was a lot of moments that just went way to long or seemed redundant. I mean it had a well written screenplay, I just don't know if the direction blended well with it.

The cast was pretty decent, but it was led wonderfully by Oscar winner Matt Damon (Best Screenplay for Good Will Hunting). I'm not a huge fan of Damon and I think he's slightly over rated as an actor, but he finally did something in my eyes that was truly great. I thought this was easily his best performance that I have seen. It was unique and quirky. I thought he was definitely good at delivering an oddball comedic performance. This character was really annoying at times though, and got on my nerves, but Damon was quite effective at portraying him. Scott Bakula (Major League: Back to the Minors) was a bit strange and I don't know if his performance was just bad or if the character he was playing was just....weird. I didn't like him that much. Glad to see Joel Mchale (TV's The Soup and Community)in a big movie! He's quite hilarious, but not so much in this movie...he seemed out of place. There was a huge amount of cameos in this movie...most of them were great!

The movie had this odd 70's feel to it, even though the story took place in the 90's. To me that was a little strange, but at the same time I think the movie looked really good. You know this is by no means a bad movie. I don't think it should be nominated for Best Picture this year though. People are already predicting it. I don't think it has that Best Picture quality. It's a good movie that just isn't all that great or memorable. I would definitely recommend you see it though!

3 comments:

  1. I have to wait till things come out on video before I get to see them...so get some rest!

    I'll give this one a look when it's released for home viewing. I did think it was a cute idea, isn't it supposedly based on a true story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like @eloh, I also have to wait to movies come out on video. Can't seem to get to the theater as often as I would like. I will definately check this one out when it comes out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it was a good movie, after some time of release got to see this movie The Informant! (2009) and it was one of the latest comedy movie helping many to find smile on their bold faces. It was a good movie from the cast of Matt Damon, Scott Bakula, Joel McHale, Melanie Lynskey, Thomas F. Wilson and they did well to success for this movie.
    http://blog.80millionmoviesfree.com/in-theaters/watch-the-informant-online

    My personal favorite is Matt Damon, he was so brilliant on this movie and we love to see more of him. He was a charm servant for comedy movies over the years and this movie been now released. The Informant! (2009) is unforgettable comedy movie experience for every comedy movie fan.


    source

    http://blog.80millionmoviesfree.com/in-theaters/watch-the-informant-online

    ReplyDelete