Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

DVD Update Reviews (09/15/2009)

I apologize for the late weekly DVD Update blog. I now have two jobs and have to wake up at 4:30 in the AM for the next few weeks and don't get home from both jobs until about 6:30 at night. It's exhausting. So my DVD updates might be a bit smaller then new few weeks and if I have any 2009 reviews that will be pretty short. But they will be there! So without further ado, here are more reviews from all the DVD's I've seen in the past week or so. I also am sorry...there won't be any pictures with this one...have barely any energy right now.

The Devil's Backbone (AKA El Espinazo Del Diablo) (2001 - Rated R - 1 hour 46 minutes): Guillermo Del Toro made this Spanish language movie, and he is responsible for the brilliant Pan's Labrynth as well as the upcoming Hobbit films. After seeing this movie along with Labrnth, I have NOTHING but confidence that he will do justice to the Hobbit flicks. This guy is really a master director, and you can knock me all you want for saying that. This is advertised as a "ghost/horror" flick but it's not really a horror movie and it's not even remotely scary. It had this deeper dramatic story to it (much like Labrynth) that was so very well written. I was surprised by how much of a plot was here in this movie. The tension was excellent; the scenery was great; the performances were super; the direction was beautiful; this movie was downright fantastic! I loved it! Rent it! My Grade: A

----------

Were the World Mine (2008 - Rated PG-13 - 1 hour 35 minutes): OK, I'm sure no one I know has seen or even heard of this movie. I didn't even know it existed until about two weeks ago. It's about this gay high school kid who gets a part in the school play and somehow gets the power to turn everyone gay with this weird flower thing. Sounds weird huh? Well it is...and I don't suggest watching it. I assumed it was going to be a funny movie, but it wasn't. It was a half musical half dramatic movie and it was super lame. The acting was pretty bad. The writing, especially the dialog, was cheeseball to the max. The music scenes were overdone, to long, and just corny! This movie was not terrible, but I say it's not that watchable or enjoyable of a movie. My Grade: D+
(This movie is available to watch instantly on Netflix)

----------

Glick Doesn't Do Red Carpet (2007 - NR - 30 minutes): OK this isn't really a movie. This is a half hour interview special done by the GREAT Jiminy Glick (played hilariously by Martin Short). Glick had his own Comedy Central interview show a few years back that was so, so, so, funny! Go on Youtube.com or Hulu to check out some of his interviews and I dare you not to laugh!! Obviously he is not a real person, he is a character played by Short. But this fat, sweaty character is so clueless about the actors he interviews and he talks with this range of voice (from deep to real high) and it's something you just have to see to believe. This movie was from the Spirit Awards for the 2007 year and features Glick interviewing many big name stars. It was great! Not his best interviews, but still funny as all hell! Check it out! My Grade: A-
(This special is available to watch instantly on Netflix and clips are available on Youtube.com)

----------

Paranoia 1.0 (AKA One Point O) (2004 - Rated R - 1 hour 32 minutes): This is a very unique film. The story kicks off the second the movie starts. There is basically no character buildup, we don't get any real insight into the main guy before the craziness starts. That's OK though, sometimes that works out well. I thought this was a super bizzare film, that I didn't quite understand fully. When it ended I felt a bit cheated because I wasn't sure if anything was really resolved or what exactly happened in the end. Sometimes I'm a bit "movie stupid" though. I see so many movies, that sometimes a film's plotline just escapes my brain. But this movie looked really cool. And from what I got from the story, I enjoyed it for the most part. The performances were good, nothing really bad or really great but they were above decent. While I can't exactly explain this movie about a mysterious empty box that shows up on a man's doorstep...I can recommend this movie. Strange I know. The look and feel of the film is really cool. The story is different and fairly orginal. I don't know...check it out if you want! My Grade: B-
(This movie is available to watch instantly on Netflix)

----------

The Contract (2007 - Rated R - 1 hour 36 minutes): You know at first thought, I kind of liked this movie. But the more I think about it I wonder...why the hell was this movie made? I don't want to ruin anything...but this film doesn't have a point. It's about a father/son combo who run into a crazy group of contract killers in the woods. It stars Oscar winner Morgan Freeman (Million Dollar Baby, Shawshank Redemption) and John Cusack (Identitiy, 1408) in a STRAIGHT TO DVD movie...who would have though those two actors would ever headline one of those! Well this movie is very much one of those now that I think of it. This is the type of movie we have seen before. The bad guy who secretly has a heart and a soft spot for the truly good people in this world. But here...it doesn't make any sense. This whole movie kind of doesn't make sense. Not a lot about it is all that fresh or all that good. I forgot about this movie actually. The ending was dumb and didn't leave any closure for the film. The actions of the some of the characters were so random and out of whack that it made the whole movie pointless to even exist. I don't know...I don't honestly suggest this movie, but of course don't let me stop you from seeing it if you have interest. Some people might like it...me...not so much. My Grade: D+
(This movie is available to watch Instantly on Netflix)

--------------

I promise I will be back with more!! Until then...happy movie watching!

2 comments:

  1. I always trust your viewpoint because you seem to have the same taste in movies, so I'm off to see "The Devil's Backbone." For years people have told me to watch it but I've seen other movies by him and didn't like the storyline at all, but loved the creatures. I think I'll give this one a try because I really was disappointed with "Pan's Labyrinth," but I might like one of his earlier films better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you for your comment as usual!

    Devil's Backbone is by no means a typical Del Torro movie. There are no creatures. This is a straight dramatic set piece that has a storyline of a ghost...but it is not scary if that makes any sense. There isn't MUCH tension, but there are a few tense moments.

    I for one LOVED "Pans Labyrinth"...I own it...I thought it was brilliant! Lol.

    ReplyDelete