Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2009

2009 Review #37: Sugar

Sugar

Rated R
(Language, some sexuality and brief drug use)
2 hours

Storyline:
Dominican baseball star Miguel "Sugar" Santos is recruited to play in the U.S. minor-leagues.

Starring:
Algenis Perez Soto
Rayniel Rufino
Andre Holland
Michael Gaston

Critics Grade:
A

My Grade:
A-

I'm going to try to keep this review nice and simple. This crazy of schedule of mine has been eating away at my free time, so I can't go into great detail with any of these reviews...sadly.
Sugar is a fantastic movie. In terms of sports related films, this will rank as one of my top favorites. I honestly believe it is one of the best films so far in 2009, and it's a shame that virtually knows it even exists. It's primarily a foreign language film, and I know that usually turns most audiences off. But it is barely a distraction.

The film was well written and quite moving. This isn't JUST a baseball movie. This is a character study about how much pressure young kids trying to get into the majors really have to go through. The character of Sugar was a pretty true to life characterization I thought. His struggles on and off the field were heartbreaking to watch at times. You really root for this guy, and hope he succeeds in his baseball and life dreams.

The fimaking was super good too. I had no real problems with it. The performances were authentic and gritty and were the best parts of the film. The screenplay was brilliant just like this movie. I'm sorry I have to half ass this review, I just don't have much time anymore. If you see this movie at Blockbuster or on Netflix, see it. Especially if your into a good dramatic sports film. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment