Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2009

2009 Review #40: Away We Go


Rated R
(language and some sexual content)
1 hour 38 minutes

Storyline:
A couple who is expecting their first child travel around the U.S. in order to find a perfect place to start their family. Along the way, they have misadventures and find fresh connections with an assortment of relatives and old friends who just might help them discover "home" on their own terms for the first time.

Starring:
John Krasinski

Critics Grade:
C

My Grade:
B+


I just recently watched "Away We Go" on Netflix. This is a movie I wanted to see, but I honestly didn't have any high hopes for it being a great film. This isn't a great film, at least not in my eyes. However, it is a very good film; a well made one. This is one of those oddball independent films sort of along the same lines as Juno or maybe even something like Little Miss Sunshine, both of which are films I very much enjoyed. Both were Best Picture nominees as well. I don't think Away We Go will make the shortlist (actually the extended list this year), but that does not mean it's a bad movie.

This film is a dark comedy, or moreover a dark dramedy. It doesn't have any super hilarious moments, but it's funny in a quirky, strange kinda way. The writing of the film gets a little weird at times which reflects through a couple truly bizarre cameo characters. I think the screenplay and the humor might fly over a lot of peoples heads (I don't mean some people are stupid, I mean that the humor here is to out there for some people's liking). I think there were a few parts that were meant to be funny, but I didn't get. Really though, this is more of a dramatic tale of a couple trying to find the right home for their soon to be born baby. In that aspect, this movie is incredibly well written. It has a genuinely sweet and charming story and I really loved the couple that we follow the whole film. There was nothing daring about the screenplay, and it had some cliche touches, but overall, a solid written story.

The performances were also quite enjoyable. John Krasinski (TV's The Office) might as well change his name to Jim Halpert because that's all people really know him as these days. I love him on The Office and it's shame he's been virtually snubbed for any award attention for that show, because I think he's very funny. He's taken a few shots at the big screen, but for me this is his big moment in film. His dramatic turn in this film is excellent. He plays a lovable character that is impossible to hate. He did a fantastic job at portraying this character, and he has major promise for when The Office says it's final goodbye...whenever that may be. I don't know to much about Maya Rudolph (TV's Saturday Night Live), but I know that this is basically her first genuine starring role in a film. Boy oh boy does she nail it! I loved her in this movie, I thought she did a great job! Her and Krasinski both play these incredibly fun people who you just instantly love. She isn't the "bitchy" pregnant girlfriend, she's sweet and funny. Rudolph really demonstrates that even the funny ladies can deliver a star performance in film.

The movie also has a slew of pretty funny cameos: Allison Janney, Jim Gaffigan, Jeff Daniels, Catherine O'Hara and Maggie Gyllenhaal. All played characters who the two leads meet up with on their journey across the country to find the perfect home. They were all perfect fits, and were all so different and added some great balance to the film. The movie looked good too. The direction from Oscar winner Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Revolutionary Road) was awesome. He's known for his dark, dramatic films about messed up families so this was a cool change of pace for him and I though he did a brilliant job piecing this story together.

This movie is now available to rent or own...I suggest you go out and rent this flick at least. It's well worth watching once, but you do have to be "in" to this kinda of quirky, independent dramedy...so that's its main downfall, that it doesn't appeal to a broader audience. But...I know plenty of people who love this kind of movie, so for you I say...see it!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed "Juno" and "Little Miss Sunshine" and I got the feeling when I saw the ads for this movie that it would be very similar. The characters looked really interesting and to me that can make a movie. You put the right character in any situation and they fit. Thanks for the great review. I'll put it in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I love a movie that has really interesting and realistic characters. For a lot of movies, you can't really get engaged in the film if the characters are bland and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a movie I would def like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you and Katie would definitely enjoy this movie. I'm ashamed I did not bring it over to watch. I will have to buy it now and let you all watch it...stupid Mike...

    ReplyDelete