Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

2009 Review #43: Where the Wild Things Are


Where the Wild Things Are

Rated PG
(mild thematic elements, some adventure action and brief language)
1 hour 41 minutes

Storyline:
An adaptation of Maurice Sendak's classic childrens story, where Max, a disobedient little boy sent to bed without his supper, creates his own world--a forest inhabited by ferocious wild creatures that crown Max as their ruler.

Starring:
Max Records
Catherine Keener

With the Voices of:
James Gandolfini
Lauren Ambrose
Catherine O'Hara
Forest Whitaker
Chris Cooper
Paul Dano

Critics Grade:
B-

My Grade:
A

Like most people in my age range, I read the Maurice Sendak novel, "Where the Wild Things Are" when I was a child. It is a beloved classic and probably the most memorable childhood book I read, and I know a lot of others can say the same. It told the story of a young boy who's imagination had no boundaries and he meets these incredible creatures called the wild things and he becomes king of their land. Never in a million years did I think they would adapt this tale into a major motion picture, but dammit to hell, I'm so glad they did! The film version of "Where the Wild Things Are" is hands down one of the very, very best films of 2009. I can even foresee a potential best picture nominee with the new extended 10 nominee bracket.

Everything I loved about the book from many years ago is right here in this movie and then some! Oscar nominated writer/director Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation) gave life and personalities to the wild things for the big screen adaption. He gives them storyline, he gives them heart, he humanizes them. Each one of them is so very unique and quite different from one another. They are funny, and they are sad. They are just like you and me...except they are 9 foot tall furry creatures with scary looking faces. But I applaud Jonze for bringing these wild things to life for us to care about even more.

Then we have Max, the little boy who's the focus of the film. We get a glimpse into his home life. He has this incredible and vivid imagination and wants to share that with everyone around him but no one wants to listen. Everyone is either to "cool" or to busy to play along with Max. But Max isn't a perfect, cute little boy. He shows signs of potentially having some kind of bi-polar disorder or at the very least some deep rooted anger issues. He tries to get attention from his mom, Oscar nominee Catherine Keener (Being John Malkovich, Into the Wild) but she isn't rresponding the way he wants. So he lashes out at her. His imagination becomes to much for her at times. He runs away and long story short, comes across an island where he meets the wild things. They are just like him. They listen to him. They care for him. They are led by him. They are everything he wants, but at the same time they are nothing that he needs.

I know what you are thinking...this all sounds a little dramatic for a childrens movie. Well here's the thing, if you want to take your young child to see a kid friendly movie...don't take them to see this film. This is a movie that will probably bore the hell out of a kid under the age of thirteen. It isn't flashy or colorful, in fact it's quite somber and dark at times. Literally and also in tone as well. This isn't exactly a sweet story, it does tend to lean towards "depressing" at times. There is a message to be learned, but I don't think the younger kids will grasp onto it. This is a movie, I think, meant more for the younger adults or for parents. I think it's geared more towards people who read the book all those years ago. It has a wonderfully brilliant story to tell, and it is incredibly well written but kids are just not going to get it.

The writing, as I stated, is superb! It's simplistic enough for an adult, but it is also very deep. We as adults might even learn a thing or two from this story. Some of the best writing I've seen a film all year. The direction is also quite stunning. Jonze really captures this mythical world with some true beauty. One thing I really loved was the choice NOT to make this an animated film. There is no sense of realism or danger in animation. Here we have this real young actor running and jumping around with these beasts in the woods. It makes the feel of the film so much more authentic and you connect a lot easier to the characters and story that way.

It has some beautiful cinematography as well. This film was shot extremely well. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a very "grim" looking film. A lot of dark tones, a lot of dreariness. They are all accented well with some dark characters and dialog but also there are some wonderful moments of genuine happiness and humor to balance it all out. It is not ALL dread, there is PLENTY of positivity in this film.

I want to point out that young Max Records did a phenomenal job in his performance. I was very surprised by how convincing he was as the little boy with the same name. This was not your typical child performance, this kid was freaking great! Max is not all happiness and joy, he actually has moments of getting on your nerves. He's a real kid, I guess is my point. Then there's moments of his vulnerability that subtlety shows his adult side, or his adult like thinking. Maybe Max is well beyond his years. But deep down, Max is a kid with an awesome imagination and a free spirit. And Records does such a great job at showcasing all shades of of Max's personality. You love him, you hate him (how can you hate a little boy right??), you root for him, you feel sad for him. Really good job!

I was also a fan of all the voice over acting. They really found the perfect cast for this movie. None of them are "huge" stars. None of them have had huge summer blockbuster films. But they added such a human tone to these creatures. They were humorous, they were at times scary, they were depressing, they were very human like. Some of them you didn't like at times, and some of them you loved and felt really bad for. This voice cast did a fantastic job at bringing life to the wild things, and made the film a wonderful experience.

So in the end...this is a MUST SEE film for young adults all the way to the oldies but goodies (hehe). A wonderfully written screenplay, brilliant directing, and some truly great and heartfelt performances. This movie can move you and inspire you. It will touch your heart. The only downfall is that it looks like a kids movie, but really this is not a film for young children. I would say not to bring the kids, not because it's bad or scary...but because most kids won't get it and the movies pacing is pretty slow and kids WILL be bored by it. But other than that...please, please, please go see this film!! It is THAT good! Brilliant even! It may even be my favorite movie so far this year...I don't know. Go see it, and you be the judge!


4 comments:

  1. Oh Wow, I really want to see this movie, especially after reading your review. Maybe I'll take my Mother. She needs a day out with fun and I think this movie will be the right medicine for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son was probably first in line when this opened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooo excited to see this movie! I know it will probably be my favorite and I'll leave feeling like I have a new perspective on life as an adult. I admit that I never read it as a kid. In fact, as a child I had never read a children's book or seen a children's movie ever. My parents were much older when they had me and with four kids ahead of me who saw them when they were little, they had thrown out the kid's books and never went to see kid's movies. When my son was born when I was 25, I finally found out who Cinderella was that everyone was talking about, and saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and that was my first time reading the book this movie was based on. My son and I were deeply in love with it right from the start. I'm so glad he took this avenue for making it instead of animation or puppetry. It looks so magical and I am guessing the message is timeless. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments guys!! Yeah this really was a timeless film! I absolutely loved it! It was a classic book, and for me this is gonna be a classic, memorable film!

    ReplyDelete