Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

2010 Review #54: Repo Men


Repo Men

Rated R
(strong bloody violence, grisly images, language and some sexuality/nudity)
1 hour 51 minutes (2 hours 1 minutes unrated DVD version)

Storyline:
Set in the near future when artificial organs can be bought on credit, it revolves around a man who struggles to make the payments on a heart he has purchased. He must therefore go on the run before said ticker is repossessed.

Directed By: Miguel Sapochnik

Starring:
Jude Law
Forest Whitaker
Alice Braga
Liev Schreiber

Critics Grade:
22%
(Consensus: Repo Men has an intriguing premise, as well as a likable pair of leads, but they're wasted on a rote screenplay, indifferent direction, and mind-numbing gore.)

My Grade:
B-

I don't see why the Rotten Tomatoes critic community gave this film a 22%. Sure it's not a fantastic movie and of course it's ridiculous. I honestly thought this was a fairly entertaining film. The premise was actually kind of cool, interesting and different. It was a refreshing set up for an action film. The action was usually fun, loud and exciting...in my opinion. Duh, it was over the top but that's what makes a decent action flick. Jude Law and Forest Whitaker were great and that's rare in an action movie to have two good performances.

The movie was definitely predictable for the most part. Although the "twist" ending I honestly did not expect...but I also wasn't really shocked by it or blown away by any means. I had some issues with what goes on in the ending, but I can't say anything because it will spoil it for people who may not have seen the movie. I like Liev Schreiber, but when he's in a movie...you pretty much know his character is going to be a turd. He always plays that smooth talking asshole. Or he plays the guy you think might be good but turns out to be a villain or just a money grubbing jerk. Movies like this can't have actors like him because the audience will figure him out quickly. I did. Nothing against him though, he's a good actor. He just needs to branch out and pick different roles. The gore in this movie was abundant and pretty graphic. I almost gagged a few times at the scenes where they reach into someones chest or stomach or whatever. UGH!

Honestly though, take this movie for what it is: an action movie with a fresh premise. Sure you pretty much know the direction it will take. Sure you will know who all the bad guys are. But listen...this movie does it's job. It gives us good action, it's fast paced, and there's rarely a dull moment. I had some issues with the story elements (but who really gives a shit about that)...but overall this is an entertaining movie. It kept me into it the whole time. It's not a great flick, but it's an action movie. Action movies are rarely "great" but when done right...they are fun and good movies to pass time. I liked it. A lot of people may disagree with me. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment