Search This Blog

Saturday, November 1, 2008

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: Heckler



Rated R
Running Time: 1 hr 20 mins


Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:


**** out of *****

Subject Matter:


This offbeat documentary starring comedian Jamie Kennedy explores the often contentious relationship between the people onstage and the vocal critics in the audience who are more than willing to make their opinions known. Interviews with such stars as comedian Bill Maher, director George Lucas and football legend Mike Ditka make it clear that heckling can happen at any venue -- and that not even the biggest luminaries are immune.


MY REVIEW



A lot of this movie has to do with the overall unacceptance of Jamie Kennedy (Scream trilogy, Son of the Mask) and his film choices. Honestly, I've never seen his so called crap films, so I have no opinion. I think he's finally made his first good movie! This time in documentary form. You actually feel kind of bad for the guy, he's taken a lot of heat for his film's and stand up routine. I really have no issue with the guy.

The movie focuses on people in audiences who heckle and ridicule stand up comics. It also shows how some comedians think fast and retort. Most of the time it's something pretty vulgar and mean spirited. By no means is this film lighthearted. It's hits a harsh truth...that some people are just jerks. Some people crave for attention by trying to be the funniest guy in the room other than the man or woman doing a routine on stage. Some people do it because they are drunk or on drugs. Some people do it for the sole purpose of impressing their friends. Have you ever been a group of friends where one friend is picked on a lot by one person? Like really mean things are said to that person. But outside the group this jokester is totally cool and never makes fun of you? Yeah most groups have that friend or maybe two of those friends. Most people do it soley to impress their group of friends. Sad, but it's life. I'm sure we are all guilty of it. I am, I'll admit it! These hecklers take that attitude and amplify it. And in this case, it's just crude and awful.

The movie also depicts critics in a bad way. Namely film critics. I have to say I absolutely agree with almost everything that was said about critics in this movie. I don't like to call myself a critic. Heck, I'm not even a proffessional, I do this from my own home. I consider myself a reviewer with my own opinion. I try very hard not to enforce my film opinions on others (however I do on occasion find myself guilty of this, and I am sorry) because everyone is different when it comes to their preference on movies. If a kids movie, like Kennedy's Son of the Mask then adults cannot possibly critique it with such horrible words. If kids liked it, then the film succeeds! The movie centers on that aspect a lot...that film critics come off as know it alls, and rub our faces with big fancy words and ridicule movies for absolutely retarded reasons. Man do I agree with that! I'll be the first to admit some of my reviews can be harsh and may come off as being a bit too analytical. I'm not perfect, but I try not to be that way.

You know these comedians work very, very hard on their acts. Screenwriters and directors work very hard on their films. Most critics have never had a part of actual filmaking, they just watch a lot of movies. They have no right in some sense to ridicule movies. But at the same time critics HAVE seen a lot of movies. They, along with me, do know a thing or two about the finished product and can tell if a movie is bad or good in it's own genre.

I'm sort of rambling here. I thought Heckler was a great look into an unknown problem in the entertainment industry. The movie was a tad on the overly vulgar side, but you are dealing with stand up comics here, who am I to judge that?? This is their world, not mine. They are free to talk anyway they please. Other than that, the movie had a good subject to tell us about. Entertainers are people too, when it comes down to it. They are human beings with actual human feelings. There is nothing different about them from us. They read reviews. They deal with the hecklers. They read the gossip magazines. They have the internet. How would you feel if you typed your name in Google and saw hundred of pages about you blasting how awful you are? You wouldn't, I can assure you. And neither do they.

I don't recommend this movie to people who can't stomach a lot of vulargity, but if you can I think you may like this neat little documentary!


*This is the 143rd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.

2 comments:

  1. I love stand-up Comedy and many of the guys that are in this film. I'm gonna have to take a look at this movie. Nice review and keep up the good work on your site! I enjoy the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yeah I think stand up comics take a lot of crap, and this movie really depicts that well...and mostly in their favor lol. It's a good one, definitely check it out! Thank you for the feedback!!

    ReplyDelete