Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Rated PG

Running Time: 1 hr 29 mins

Voice Cast:

Ben Stiller
Chris Rock
David Schwimmer
Jada Pinkett Smith
Sacha Baron Cohen
Bernie Mac
Alec Baldwin

Critical Consensus:

Coming Soon
(Coming Soon)

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

***** out of *****


The Premise:

A botched rescue attempt strands Alex the lion (voiced by Ben Stiller) and his companions smack dab in the African wild. Sadly, as in Madagascar, Alex discovers he has little in common with the locals, having lived for so long in the city. His friends, meanwhile, begin to doubt they'll ever make it back to the zoo. David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith, Chris Rock and Sacha Baron Cohen reprise their voice roles in this hysterical animated sequel.

MY REVIEW

Not many sequels are as good or even better than the first film. I personally think Madagascar 2 was an improvement over the original. Now I liked the first movie, I thought it was adorable and perfect for kids. The animation was a bit weird though, and it seemed like a TV show and not a major film. However, kids don't care about that and that's who the target audience is, so ultimately I didn't care. The sequel however does improve in this area greatly.

But really, this film is very cute, very funny and very lovable. It may not stand up against films like Toy Story or this years Wall*E but it's still a really entertaining and fun movie. The kids will love it! I was in a theater full of kids, and I can tell they just had a blast with this film! Movies like this weren't intended to wow adult audiences and garner tons of Oscar nominations. The animated film category at the Oscars didn't come around until fairly recently. These movies are MEANT for children and families. How can an adult review this movie with an adult mindset. That's just silly!!

I have NOTHING to complain about in this movie. Because for what it was supposed to be, it was perfect! All the characters are so fun! I was laughing right along with the kids in the audience. Those freaking penguins are absolutely hysterical! They were a highlight in the first film, and they were even funnier here! Each character just had their own individual quirks that just added to the humor. The film has the added benefit of being well written too. They story was very simple, and played out very well. There were jokes thrown in that were obviously meant for adults too, which is always a cool touch. And in the end, the story delivers a good message: friends are important, especially the good ones. We will always have disagreements with friends, but with the good friends you see right past the arguments.

Yes, I gave this films five stars. Is it as good as Wall*E or Kung Fu Panda? Not in my adult mindset no, but kids don't really care what I think! I review these movies indivually, and try very hard not to actually compare them while watching them. Madagascar 2 is a very good film that the entire family can enjoy! Even you can enjoy it! It's fun!


To view this film's theatrical trailer, click this link: Madagascar 2

*This is the 146th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

5 comments:

  1. I thought that this movie is really funny and many kids enjoyed watching it, including me! HAHA. Well, part one was good, I watched it in HD quality @ http://www.yayvideo.net before watching the part 2 yesterday. I'll still like part 1 though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is surely look fun enough but I think the first film is way better than this, because I think it's also look as only a repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like kids don't care if it's the same thing. And actually the stories are different. It even has new characters and more of some old characters like those darn penguins! If kids find it fun, then who cares what grown ups like us think. But this grown up genuinely enjoyed the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lot of people who loved to see our children grow up in good relax environment may vote for these kind movies like Madagascar Escape 2 Africa because of the simply ness and the nature it brings to the heart of children. They can grab what they lost in past decades. I think Madagascar Escape 2 Africa is a beginning of revolution of childhood film making. Not only think about the big money. http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com is where I saw this fantastic movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen all the parts of this movie. Very entertaining! It teaches how strong a friendship should be and that’s what’s great about such movies and series. My kids learnt a lot when they were watching shows by Andy Yeatman and now such movies are doing a great work.

    ReplyDelete