Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Space Chimps




Rated G



Running time
: 1 hr 21 mins



Voice Cast
:











**1/2 out of *****

(35% Fresh Rating!)



Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating
:



*1/2 out of *****


The Premise:

Playful circus chimp Ham III -- grandson of the first simian astronaut -- finds himself knee deep in an intergalactic revolution when NASA drafts him to recover a missing probe in this comic animated adventure. Can Ham and his shipmates, the intrepid Lt. Luna and testy skipper Titan, save a planet under the thumb of a nefarious tyrant? Celebrity voices include Andy Samberg, Cheryl Hines, Patrick Warburton, Jeff Daniels and Stanley Tucci.


MY REVIEW


I really hate to give animated films low marks, because I am not the target audience. But Space Chimps is just a sucky movie, I'm sorry. I honestly think that this film wouldn't even appeal to many young audiences. I think if you are between the ages of 5-8 you might find it slightly entertaining but otherwise, this movie is just bland.

All Space Chimps really is, is an extended version of a Saturday morning cartoon. I feel like there was virtually no effort put into this film to appeal to much of anyone. It wasn't even funny. It had no charming likability. I think for adults and most kids, this movie would be a bore. It certainly was for me. It tries to hard to be funny for kids, and I don't think most kids would get it. I know kids, I have 7 nieces and nephews, I've grown up with children for the past 13 years. I have a fairly good gauge for how the average mind of a child works. And this film is not something that would be fun for most youngsters.


The animation was outdated, it's as if it went back to the stone ages of 3D animation, and then some. That's not something I typically want to complain about, but this movie had nothing in it's favor. The voice actors were dull and unfunny, just like the story.

Listen parents, this film may be totally clean for children s minds, and there aren't any grown up jokes kids won't get; but really there are so many other good family films out there you can show you kids instead of this one. Wall-E, Kit Kittredge, Kung Fu Panda, etc. Don't waste your time showing the family this one. There isn't even a good message in it like the other films have. The film's I just listed have very sweet morals to teach kids and families, Space Chimps is just a mess of a film that leaves you feeling empty.



To view this film's theatrical trailer, click this link: Space Chimps

*This is the 150th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment