Search This Blog

Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Rated PG-13

Running time: 1 hr 34 mins

Cast:

David Thewlis
Asa Butterfield
Jack Scanlon
Vera Farmiga

Critical Consensus:

*** out of *****
(63% Fresh Rating!)

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

***1/2 out of *****

The Premise:

Set during World War II, a story seen through the innocent eyes of Bruno, the eight-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp, whose forbidden friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence has startling and unexpected consequences.

MY REVIEW


Some online sites are labeling this film as a "family drama" but I think it may be very far from that. However at the same time I do think this is an important film for younger teens to watch with their parents. When you have a movie that centers around a concentration camp during the Nazi era, you know you are not in for a very happy time. That's not to say Boy in the Striped Pajamas does not have any happy moments, because honestly it does.

I personally thought this was an incredibly moving tale about two boys who are raised to be natural enemies, but instead befriend each other. What makes it even more touching is the innocence these children bring to the story. Bruno, son of a commandant at a concentration camp meets Shmuel, a Jewish prisoner at said camp. The shaved head and sickly looking Shmuel is behind an electrified fence wearing prison clothes which Bruno lives the good life. Shmuel knows vaguely what his situation is, but at the same time he appears clueless. He knows he's in a jail like camp and that people hurt him, but I don't think he grasps the severity of it all. Bruno is completely innocent. He has no clue why Shmuel is where he is or even what the camp is. He keeps saying it's a farm and he just never understands. So it's easy for them to become friends so quickly, and through this we get a very touching story of friendship.

The movie does tend to drag on at some points, even though it's only an hour and a half. That was one concern of mine. Another was that they never seemed to lay on the gloom to much. Which may sound silly to some people, but this is a movie about a boy in a concentration camp, you can't make the whole thing light and fluffy. It also has to have a level of great importance so that kids who may watch it with their families, will understand what was really going on. Now obviously we all know what happened, but the story as a whole should have left a great impact. I don't think it did for me, so I don't think it will for kids who may be learning about the subject now.

The final act of the film is a different story. I don't want to ruin anything, but that final "gut-punch" of a scene WILL leave a very lasting impact on me personally. It was so very hard for me to watch and bear. It did get me a little teary eyes just from the sheer emotional impact of it. I think the rest of the film should have packed more emotion in it, like that final moment. But listen, these are just minor flaws for me. Because it did pack in SOME emotions, like I said it's very wonderful story about two boys at opposite ends of the spectrum becoming amazing friends.

The film had some good performances. Mainly from the two little boys. They were incredible, I won't lie. Some of the best child acting I've seen all year. And they are complete unknowns, which just added more onto the realism of their friendship. We don't associate these boys with other films, so it was a lot easier to connect with them. They did an excellent job at making a connection with the audience. Bravo to them! David Thewlis (Harry Potter craze) stood out for me, because I've only ever known him as Professor Lupin. He was creepy, but also had a heart to him that managed to pop out every once in a while. It was a good performance. I'm most surprised by Vera Farmiga (Quid Pro Quo, Nothing But the Truth) who I thought was awful in Quid Pro Quo earlier in the year. But she showcased herself here in what I thought was an excellent and emotional performance, especially in those final moments of the film.

Boy in the Striped Pajamas lacks in some serious, consistent emotional depth but when it comes down to it, it is a beautiful story of the true innocence of children and of love and friendship. I would very much recommend the movie to anyone! Just know that it can at times be very difficult to watch.

To view this film's theatrical trailer, click this link: Striped Pajamas
*This is the 166th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

1 comment:

  1. I read the book "The Boy in Striped Pajams " and it was amazed one. I also watched the film based on it but didn't like as much as I liked the book...I think book is good as compared to movie.

    ReplyDelete