Search This Blog

Monday, December 22, 2008

Yes Man

Yes Man

Rated PG-13

Running time: 1 hr 43 mins

Cast:

Jim Carrey
Zooey Deschanel
Bradley Cooper

Critical Consensus:

**1/2 out of *****
(43% Fresh Rating!)

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

**1/2 out of *****



The Premise:

A guy challenges himself to say "yes" to everything for an entire year.

MY REVIEW


I won't dribble on to much with my review of Yes Man. For me this film was just another forgettable comedy from Jim Carrey (Liar Liar, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). I've actually grown tired of his comedy routine in his films, and I prefer him in dramas now. He actually has the ability to be a fantastic actor when he's serious such as in films like The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine. But he just starts to try to hard in his comedies of late. He doesn't do his over the top thing like he usually does, in this film but there are still hints of it. The weird contorted faces, the high pitched voices, it's all so 90's Jim Carrey. If he is going to continue to do comedy, maybe he should switch it up a bit and be original. Or just stick to drama man!

The movie isn't bad though. It does actually have some funny moments, but I didn't laugh out loud in any aspect of the film. I think a lot of the jokes and whatnot were a tad to awkward or outdated or just simply poorly written. But a few good ones slipped through the cracks. The story also has a good message: be more open to things. You know we live in a world full of "No", "Maybe" and "Sure". Everyone knows when a friend or family member tells you "Maybe" to an invite or just to hang out...they clearly mean "No". People are just to full of themselves or have to many unsure plans to commit to anything outside of their routine. People these days just simply assume they have plans every weekend so they can't say "Yes" to someone outside their normal plans just in case something "better" does come up. You know if you don't have definite, set plans, say "Yes" to someone who wants to do something with you. Stop being selfish. You lose people that way, just like Jim Carrey nearly does in this film. It's kind of weird I got a deep meaning out of this film huh? But it's true...open your book a little more, be open to doing things you don't always do. Why do you HAVE to live the same routine with the same group of people every weekend? Or the same routine with yourself every weekend? Or whatever your case may be. I know I'm that way, but this movie actually opened my eyes a little bit. Kind of bizarre I know!!

But yeah, Yes Man worked on some levels, but for the most part fell flat for me. The writing was a little plain and dull and not consistently funny. I'm tired of laughing at people getting hit in the head, or making funny faces. I want more grown up comedies (and not the ones littered with sex jokes and nudity...those also are for adolescents). But the serious or random comedies (like Juno or Burn After Reading) don't really exist these days because audiences don't usually flock to see them. But Yes Man tries, it really does. Unfortunately for me, it just didn't quite get over that bump.

On a side note Zooey Deschanel (The Happening, Almost Famous) really surprised me. She delivered one of the single worst performances in a major released motion picture I've ever seen in The Happening earlier this year. But in Yes Man she was kind of sweet, funny and charming. I liked her here. She should just stick to this type of film. Leave the serious stuff to the professionals.

**HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY THIS WEEK!!!!*


To view this film's theatrical trailer, click this link: Yes Man

*This is the 172nd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment