Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia!

Rated PG-13

Running time: 1 hr 48 mins

Cast:

Meryl Streep
Pierce Brosnan
Colin Firth
Stellan Skarsgard
Amanda Seyfried

Critical Consensus:

**1/2 out of *****
(53% Fresh Rating!)

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

*1/2 out of *****

The Premise:

The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using hit songs by the popular '70s group ABBA.

MY REVIEW


Sorry folks, but I didn't much care for good ol' Mamma Mia! I'm kind of a person who likes musicals that have music that was written for the production (even if the film was originally a Broadway show) and doesn't use someone else music to tell the story. Moulin Rouge was the exception for me, because they used many different songs from many musicians and the songs worked perfectly in the story. I kind of think that these ABBA songs didn't fit well into the movie. I know it's been a Broadway show forever, and very well loved and all but I just didn't get it. The story was pretty weak and cliched. To many drastic things happened to fast and no one seemed to care. I don't know, I just kind of think Mamma Mia! the movie was a bit of a mess.

What I did love about the movie was the GREAT Oscar winner Meryl Streep (Sophie's Choice, The Devil Wears Prada). She is one of my favorite actresses and I think she brings a lot to a movie. She is a brilliant actress who almost never really fails. I thought Streep was fantastic in this film. Her singing was awesome, and what I loved the most was that she was very "electric". Meaning that I haven't seen her bring this much life and energy to one of her characters since Death Becomes Her. Definitely one of the only bright spots to this movie for mer personally. Pierce Brosnan (Die Another Day, The Matador) needs to stick to his day job. He really should not sing a film ever again. His singing was actually quite distracting, thankfully he didn't have a lot of solos. Now obviously I can't sing a single note in tune, but don't use that excuse on me. This man is a paid actor, this is supposed to be his job. So there!

Sorry people, Mikey @ The Movies cannot support Mamma Mia! I'm just a little dissapointed by it, not even the great Meryl Streep could save it! Boo!

To view this film's theatrical trailer click this link: Mamma Mia

*This is the 164th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this movie, Mikey. Maybe because I grew up in the 70's, hippy era and listened to Alba could be why or I just had fun watching it. Meryl Streep was fantastic as always. She is good in whatever type of role she takes on and I love watching her. Amanda Seyfried was terrific too as was Christine and Julie who played her two best buds. I do agree the Pierce is not a singer. He even said in an interview that his children were embarrassed that he sang in this movie, lol. But like many others that were in the theatre singing along with the songs, we enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah see I think my parents liked the movie too, probably for the same reasons. I agree it had a good cast, minus Pierce Brosnan. He was so badly cast! I just didn't grow up with this type of music, and it did not appeal to me. Lol. But Streep was awesome as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. up 2 now i have watched this film 29 times i really really love it totally addicted u gotta blast it out loud and sing along lol :-)

    ReplyDelete