Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

2009 Review #59: The Messenger



Rated R
(language and some sexual content/nudity)
1 hour 45 minutes

Storyline:
An American soldier struggles with an ethical dilemma when he becomes involved with a widow of a fallen officer.

Starring:
Ben Foster
Woody Harrelson
Samantha Morton
Jena Malone

Critics Grade:
A-

My Grade:
B-



I don't really have a whole lot to say about this movie. No I did not think it was bad, I actually thought it was overall a good movie. The problem this movie had for me is that it tried to be to much. It tried the whole "artsy" feel thing a little to hard, and it kind of falls flat in many points in the film. There are a few scenes that go on WAY to long and literally stay focused on one shot for what feels like an eternity. It drags a lot, and in the end, carries a lot of the story down with it.

I liked the scenes where they had to deliver the news to the families of their deceased loved ones. For the most part they were quite devastating to watch. They felt very authentic and they were pretty emotional. I wish they would have touched more on how it was affecting these two soldiers though. These were the best scenes in the film however. Very well done.

There was the side story of Ben Foster (3:10 to Yuma, Alpha Dog) trying to hook up with one of the women who recently lost her husband played by Oscar nominee Samantha Morton (In America, Sweet & Lowdown). These scenes played out a little to dry for me. I didn't really understand the direction they were taking. They could have been in better taste I guess. Oscar nominee Woody Harrelson's (The People Vs. Larry Flynt, Zombieland) story arc was some of my favorite parts of the movie. He plays this soldier who hasn't actually seen much war time and he is deeply disturbed for some reasons we never fully know. But he's a hard ass. A hard ass with a heart. He's a pretty complicated character, and Harrelson plays him brilliantly. I feel if this movie got more attention, we could see Harrelson garnering himself an Oscar nomination for supporting actor here. He was very, very good. I love that he's surfacing back in the movie world. Ben Foster was also excellent here, but not powerful enough to provoke to much emotion from the audience. At least not from me. Honestly I think he turned an Oscar worthy role in 3:10 to Yuma a few years back, but he was ignored. He will probably be ignored again this year for lead actor, but I think this guy is well on his way to award glory.

You know this is a good movie, but it's centered around kind of a messy movie. I feel like it goes in a few different directions and I never really knew where it was going. It had to many "down" moments and scenes that just took forever to get going. But it has some brilliant performances with some deep and emotional moments that it's enough for me to say, yeah, The Messenger is a solid movie. However, it's just not a movie I would urge you to go see in theaters. It falls into that black hole of "forgettable good movies" such as Alpha Dog and American Gangster to name a few. That's just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment