Search This Blog

Saturday, November 21, 2009

2009 Review #57: Precious


Precious

Rated R
(child abuse including sexual assault, and pervasive language)
1 hour 50 minutes

Storyline:
In Harlem, an overweight, illiterate teen who is pregnant with her second child is invited to enroll in an alternative school in hopes that her life can head in a new direction.

Starring:
Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe
Mo'Nique
Paula Patton
Mariah Carey
Lenny Kravitz

Critics Grade:
A-

My Grade:
A+

Wow. Precious is one of the most heart breaking films I've seen a very long time. This film is devestating to watch. I saw it all by myself, which probably wasn't a good idea. This is a movie that should be embraced with other people. I will not lie to you, Precious is an extrememly difficult film to watch because the subject material is dark as dark can be. It reaches down to the trenches of how evil people can be and how tormented other people are. It captures the disgusting act of judgment that we all possess. Precious is a brilliant film. A must see film, if you can take it. This film is not only FULL of extremely vulgar language, but it goes into much more sinister territroy that is not something everyone could probably see. I'm talking incest (Precious was raped by her father twice and now has two children from him). That isn't ruining the storyline at all trust me. It shows phsical and emotional abuse to the max. It features a scene where a baby is tossed to the side. I'm telling you, this is a film that is hard to see but it is one I think all should see.

I'm not going to dive into the storyline in this review, it would take to long. Read my synopsis above and also most people by now know what this film is about. It's all over the place. My theater was jam packed last night! Anyway, the screenplay here was one of dismal beauty. I've never read the book, but I feel like the screenwriter captured it well enough. They did not hold back in this film, they threw it all right in our faces. They shoved a message right down our throats. No matter what a person may look like on the outside, no matter what you may THINK they are...never ever assume that about them. Never assume the worst of someone and tear them apart.

Who are we to judge? How do you think people feel when they are judged? You see the main character in this film and hear her story and you think nasty things about her. But then we get to know her. We begin to learn her story, and through that, we feel her pain. We've all been guilty of judging people like Precious. I've been judged in the same ways. What the film makers do here is capture the essence of this heart ache and amplify it to the max. This is something that happens in real life. This is a film that needs to be seen so that our eyes can be opened. We need a slap in the face to see the reality of this world. The sadness that is going on all around us. It may have been shown to us in a very harsh way in this film, but they did a phenomenal job at bringing this to us. Oscar worthy screenplay, and absolutely Oscar worthy directing by Lee Daniels.

This film has gotten a lot of word of mouth mainly because of the performances. We've been hearing a lot about the ladies in this film. This is Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe's very first film and I'm telling you, you would never have guessed that. She delivers one of the most emotionally devestating and heartbreaking performances I've seen in years. If there is front runner for Best Actress at the Oscars so far this year, it is Gabby. She was simply amazing as Precious. She delivered this authentic performance that could bring a grown man to tears (not this one though, sorry). She has a scene in the classroom towards the end that is hard to watch. She breaks down and releases all her pain and in the moment you see a real girl in real pain and then you think...wait, this is just a movie.

The supporting ladies weren't chop liver. First we have Mariah Carey (Glitter). She only has about three scenes in the whole film and maybe about ten minutes of screentime. Her character is really "toned down" from her real life image. This was not done to embarass her, but to have us relate to her. Her short performance was very monoton but I'll tell you what, it was incredibly believable. She plays a social worker who appears unhappy, of course she's monotone. She see's turmoil every day. With what she had, she was convincing and did a great job. Paula Patton (DeJa Vu, Mirrors) seems to have been ignored in all the award buzz, and I don't understand why. I thought she carried herself beautifully in this film. She connected with Precious in such a sweet and convincing way and really showcased her acting chops in this film. It's shame she will go un-noticed this year in the awards area, because she was very good.

So now we come to Mo'Nique (Phat Girlz, Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins). I was not believing the hype about her performance. I mean come on, how could this woman who does raunchy stand up, has an annoying voice and stars in movies title "Phat Girlz" deliver a serious dramatic performance that's worthy of an Oscar? Well you remember that judging thing I spoke of eariler? You see how easily I fell prey to that? Because I could not have been more wrong, and I'm glad I was. Mo'Nique has about 5 or 6 scenes in the film. Every time she is on screen and she opens her mouth you hate her character. She is the definition of pure evil. She is nasty, vile person who treats her daughter like filth. And that's me being nice. She is super crazy in this film. But damit...she was brilliant. Shock of the century for me. She...was...brilliant. She was frigtening real, she was scary as hell and you didn't see comedian Mo'nique in this character at all. I don't how she did it, but I'm glad she did. Her final scene was probably the most heart breaking moment of the film. She gives this haunting monolugue that made me teary eyed. How can you feel for a character as sinister as this? Well you can't, but you come close in that scene. You begin to understand her. You begin to believe she's incredibly mentally unstable. She's hurting too. But how can you feel for her? That's the beauty of that scene. If she does not win an Oscar for the moment alone....it will be an Academy Awards travesty. She HAS to be a shoe in?? RIGHT?

Bottom line...this is one of the very best films of 2009. It should be nominated for Best Picture, no doubt in my mind. It's captivating. It's haunting. It's tragic. It even has some very sweet, funny moments to brighten up the dread of the film. This is an all around amazing motion picture. A must see film. Just be warned. The movie gave me goosebumps at times. Woo, freaking phenomenal film!

1 comment:

  1. They should give out awards for reviews because this was one of your best. I really want to see this movie and your well written review makes me love it without having seen it. I certainly would need a box of tissue with me. You know me, a bundle of emotions, menopause, lol. Great job Mikey!

    ReplyDelete