Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Return of Glee - Not So Gleeful

Well Glee returned last night after being off since mid February. Honestly...I wish it just stayed off the air. But hey, I chose to watch the new episode...but I think it may the last one I ever watch. When we last saw, the show ended with a cliffhanger, in a surprisingly good episode. Quinn was trying to get to Rachel and Finn's last minute wedding and was responding to Rachel's text (while driving) and was the episode ended drastically with Quinn being t-boned by a truck.

This may sound really grim and terrible...but I was hoping Glee would have the balls to kill Quinn off to add some kind of new depth to the show. Take the show to whole different level. A message board poster stated "The show is called 'Glee' so they can't kill a character off". Which to me is stupid. They have had dark story lines on this show before. Kurt being bullied, Sue's sister dying, Kurt's dad having a heart attack; just because it's called "Glee" doesn't mean the show has to be all smiles and joy. But at any rate, I knew deep down the creators of Glee would not kill Glee. They would come back and totally cop out with the story and make it more of a passing thing.

I was right. We come back and it's apparently a month or two later. Quinn is randy dandy, other than the fact that she in a wheelchair. Otherwise, she looks perfectly fine and healthy. She is happy and bubbly and is now bff's with Artie (the other kid in a wheelchair). I'm not sure if they are attempting to set up a love story between those two now. Quinn believes she will walk again...and knowing this show...she will probably be on her feet in 3 episodes. Of course Rachel blamed herself and blah blah blah. It felt like a really cheesey PSA ad. There was a scene were Quinn gave Finn crap for texting while walking. HA! How stupid! Glee is known for starting something big than falling completely flat. Their story lines are so hastily done and there's just way to much going on in every episode. The first season was a breakthrough season of TV and it heart and inspired kids to be who they want to be. Taught kids to feel comfortable in their own skin. But now...it's become a jumbled mess of story lines that are incredibly rushed and just downright silly. The whole Quinn thing was over and done with in minutes.

All Glee is these days is a glorified radio station. They just sing songs on the show because they are what's hip in music today. Not all the songs, no...but most. In season one, the songs had deep meaning to the characters singing them. They were usually always relevant to the story. Now it's just a cheap gimmick to promote popular songs and virtually have no relevance to the overall story of the episode. I don't care about any of the characters anymore. Even Sue Sylvester is incredibly dull now. She used to be the funniest character on TV...now we are lucky if she has one funny line an episode...or if she's even an episode at all. Her shtick just seems so forced now and tiresome. I feel bad for Jane Lynch, because she's great at what she does, but the writing has become dismal.

Glee had a shining year a few years back, but has just turned into a pretty crappy show. It has no more consistency. I'm not the only one either. Last night the show experienced a season/series low in ratings bringing in only a little over 6 million viewers. Not good for a show that used to be hugely popular. It's one Emmy's for best comedy and Jane Lynch has won an Emmy for her work. Chris Colfer who plays Kurt has been nominated twice and won a Golden Glove a few years back. It's just completely lost that magic touch. It's just not a good show anymore and I hate to say it. Good news for fans of the show though...it will be back for season 4. Half of the cast will be graduating by years end, so I have no clue where they are taking us next year...but I will not be a part of it. No, I don't think I'm special and I'm not being snobby. Because MOST people have come to the same conclusion.

Goodbye Glee. 'Twas fun.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't watch yesterday's show yet. I am not as excited about the show either. Sadly, I have removed shows from my DVR queue that I used to love watching. Glee is probably next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the whole episode was just bad. The music was not fun. Nothing was good about it in my opinion. When I get home tonight...I will be removing it from my DVR list officially. I also removed The Office and Touch (it was good...but not doing much to grab my attention).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Office is just bad this year. It is not funny. I removed 30 Rock too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Office is extremely unfunny. I got rid of 30 Rock almost a month ago. Just give us a 2 hour block of Community and Parks & Rec and I'll be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if Chevy will be back on Community after his rant?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would seem unlikely at this point. However, Dan Harmon did issue a public apology to Chevy...so maybe it's water under the bridge now and they will be civil.

    ReplyDelete