Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2008

SHORT REVIEW: Penelope



Rated PG

Running time: 1 hr 29 mins

Cast:

Christina Ricci
James McAvoy
Catherine O'Hara
Peter Dinklage

Critical consensus:

**1/2 out of *****

Matt's Take:


Has not viewed

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

*** out of *****



The premise:

A modern romantic tale about a young aristocratic heiress born under a curse that can only be broken when she finds true love with "one who will love her faithfully".

MY REVIEW


Penelope is by no means an outstanding work of art for the world of film. However it's an oddball of a film full of quirk and fantasy, that I actually found myself vaguely enjoying. I say vaguely because this is not a movie I will remember much about at year's end, but for the time being, with it fresh in my mind, it wasn't that bad. This is a modern day love story/fantasy, and I'm not to keep on the whole love story genre, as most of you know. Yet Penelopes story intrigued me. The movie was short enough to not drag on, every scene got straight to the point. Yeah maybe it moved a tad to fast, but how much of a love story/fantasy can one truly take? By the end, we actually have a pretty good message delivered to us as moviegoers: shallow people are stupid.

Some of the direction of the film was a little "low class" for me, something about the way the film was shot, maybe the camera itself, I don't know, but it was kind of straight-to-dvd looking. We still get glimpses of enchanting effects and camera shots, however. The cast, overall, is pretty good.
Christina Ricci (Adams Family, Sleepy Hollow) and James McAvoy (Atonement, Wanted) work really well together, and showed very good chemistry. SAG Award nominee Peter Dinklage (The Station Agent) was the best part of the movie for me, in terms of performances. He's a great little dwarf actor! Catherine O'Hara (Home Alone, Best in Show) was the worst performance. Her character and her acting was pure craziness and didn't seem rehearsed in anyway. Sad, because I normally like her. Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line) has a very small role in the film, but is plastered all over the posters, mainly due to the fact that she is one of the producers of the film. Her borderline cameo role was pretty entertaining. Look kids, simply put, this is not a bad movie. Not one I'd recommend to many people, but whatever, it enterained me.




CURRENT MIKEY @ THE MOVIES AWARD NOMINATIONS:



  • None

To view this films theatrical trailer, click this link: Penelope

*This is the 73rd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment