Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Rated PG)

Running time: 1 hr 32 mins

Cast:

Brendan Fraser
Anita Briem
Josh Hutcherson


Critical consensus:

*** out of *****

Matt's Take:

C+

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

*** out of *****




The premise:


On a quest to find out what happened to his missing brother, a scientist, his nephew and their mountain guide discover a fantastic and dangerous lost world in the center of the earth.



MY REVIEW


The Story and Screenplay:
With a film like this, you aren't going to get an Oscar nominee caliber adapted screenplay. It's based off a classic Jules Verne novel, but let's face it, this story is geared towards children or teenagers. I may be 23, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying this story that kind of made me miss the movies I grew up on as a kid. Such as films like Land Before Time, Jurassic Park, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Goonies. People of my generation grew up with those movies, and loved them, and I feel for a while, there no longer were films these days that kids today can grow up and still cherish in their 20's and 30's. This film along with movies like Wall-E are sort of bringing that nostalgia back. This screenplay is cheesy, and obviously unbelievable, but it's fun and entertaining. What more can you honestly expect from a fantasy movie geared towards kids under 13?



The Story and Screenplay rating:
*** out of ***



The Performances: Again, like the story, don't expect award caliber performances from a movie like this. These 3 actors had fun with this movie, and you could tell. They all deliver humorous, clean performances the whole family honestly can enjoy. It's hard to critique acting in a family film, because that's not what the movie is about; that's not what the director wants to get across to it's target audience. Brendan Fraser (The Mummy, The Air I Breathe) has never really been a brilliant actor, I actually think he's better in this type of fantasy/adventure type film; he can be pretty funny. Josh Hutcherson who most people remember from Zathura, is not that bad of a child actor actually. He probably won't have any shining moments in his young career, but whatever, he's good. An unknown Anita Briem always delivers a good performance for what the material called for. I don't see her breaking into the Hollywood spotlight like her co-star, but she's not to shabby.


The Performances rating: *** out of *****





The Direction and Filmaking: This is actually Eric Brevigs directorial film debut, and what a big project to take on. I honestly thinks he handled it quite well. The film, for the most part looks incredible and beautiful, especially when we see the 'center of the Earth'. The special effects are dazzling, but not award winning; they do the job. I did love the set design. Everything from the caves to the jungles just looked stunning. The one issue I had with the filmaking was the 3D. I was not fortunate to be in a theater where they showed this film in 3D. Therefore, there are many shots (one with a tape measure, one with a yo-yo, etc.) that were filmed so that these objects would 'leap' out of the screen for 3D audiences, but for audiences like mine, those shots looked corny. They didn't make sense. Now it didn't bother me as much becuase I knew it was made as a 3D film, but for some older audiences who don't know, it may confuse them. Whatever though, this was a good film with a nostalgic feel to it. I enjoyed it.


The Direction and Filmaking rating: *** out of *****



SIDE NOTE: I'd like to take a minute to say something. I have been told, and now have read reviews on this movie, about how far fetched some things are that happen in the film. There's a scene where Josh Hutcherson's character miracuously gets cell phone reception in the center of the Earth. Plausible? No. Seeing as how I can't even get reception in some part of Phoenix? Should it matter in this movie? NO! Theres a scene where Brendan Fraser fights freaky versions of venus fly traps, and then basically bitch slaps the plant, defeating it. Does this happen in real life? Who the heck knows? More importantly who the heck cares?? Reviewers have every right to not like this movie for other reasons, I can even see where they are coming from. But my goodness, has the day come where we over analyze and nitpick a PG rated family film? Not to mention this movie involves three everyday people who journey to the CENTER OF THE EARTH and don't die! Oh that's plausible right? But cell phone reception?? COME ON!! This movie is gearred towards the younger audiences. They don't care about inconsistencies. In some regard, I apparently have the mind of a child when it comes to movies. I watch a movie with an open mind and not a care in the world for inplausibilites, because all I care about is seeing a good, entertaining film with a good, fun story. These elements of cell phone reception and punching a plant, they provide humor towards this already far fetched story. Kids love it. Kids laugh at it. While I noticed these things while watching the film, I never, EVER gave it a second thought, because I just didn't care. If you see a movie thats about lawyers and at the end, they all start flying, THEN talk to me about stupid implausibilites. But when a movie, a FANTASY movie, takes place in the center of the earth where jungles grow and rivers flow, don't talk to me about things that just can't happen in a movie. It's a waste of time. Just be entertained...I can do it! Geez!



And that is my rant.





CURRENT MIKEY @ THE MOVIES AWARD NOMINATIONS





  • Best Young Actor or Actress (Josh Hutcherson)


  • Best Art Direction & Set Design


To view this films theatrical trailer click this link: Journey to the Center of the Earth



*This was the 54th new film I have seen and reviewed this year.






No comments:

Post a Comment