Search This Blog

Sunday, July 13, 2008

SHORT REVIEW: Over Her Dead Body

Over Her Dead Body (Rated PG-13)

Running time: 1 hr 35 mins

Cast:

Paul Rudd
Lake Bell
Eva Longoria Parker
Jason Biggs

Critical consensus:

*1/2 out of *****

Matt's Take:

C-

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

* out of *****





The premise

A ghost tries to sabotage her former boyfriend's current relationship with a psychic.


MY REVIEW

Good golly, this was a pretty stupid movie. The good thing is, I was expecting that. I only rented this film to further along my own personal goal of seeing 100 new movies in 2008. To do that, you have to be willing to see the bad. This movie is no exception. The story isn't even remotely good. It's beyond any cheesy level I've ever seen. This is the second "comedy" in as many days that I have seen that truly isn't a funny movie in any way. It's almost depressing on how much of a bore it was. Paul Rudd (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up) who we've recently seen in supporting and cameo roles in a slew of raunchy comedies, gets a shot at a lead role here. He is OK, and because I know the actor can be funny, he was standable. If you've never really seen him before though, you may think he delivers a pretty bland and boring performance with an occasional funny line delivery. Then we have Lake Bell an unfamiliar leading lady face, except to people like me who love the ABC Dramedy Boston Legal and even the NBC failed show Surface. She isn't terrible here, but honestly she isn't good. I loved her on Boston Legal and was sad to see her leave the show, but I guess she just doesn't have that star quality. Finally we have Eva Longoria Parker (TV's Desperate Housewives), who thank goodness has only maybe 15 minutes screentime, despite top billing. In the words of Simon Cowell, she was 'absolutely dreadful' in this film. If I had to watch her anymore, I was going to vomit, and I know that's graphic, but trust me when I say, she was so very bad in this film. Over Her Dead Body never showed any promise of at least being a somewhat entertaining film. It is depressingly bad and incredibly forgettable.




CURRENT MIKEY @ THE MOVIES AWARD NOMINATIONS:



  • Worst Comedic Film of the Year

  • Worst Supporting Performance of the Year (Eva Longoria Parker)

  • Worst Screenplay of the Year

To view this films theatrical trailer, click this link: Over Her Dead Body

*This is the 59th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.
















No comments:

Post a Comment