Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SHORT REVIEW: Step Brothers

Step Brothers

Rated R

Running time: 1 hr 35 mins

Cast:

Will Ferrell
John C. Reilly
Richard Jenkins
Mary Steenburgen
Adam Scott

Critical conensus:

**1/2 out of *****

Matt's Take:

D+

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

* out of *****




The premise:

Two spoiled guys become competitive stepbrothers after their single parents get hitched.

MY REVIEW

You know I really don't feel the need to write some extensive review on this film, so I won't. Step Brothers, in my opinions is one of the years worst and most dissapointing comedies. This is a film that unfortunately falls victim to too much bad advertising. That generally happens to comedies. They show us an abundant amount of funny parts of the movie in both the regular trailer and red-band trailer, that make us really want to see the movie. When you watch it, as did I, I noticed all the funny parts in the film were in the trailer. I was already exposed to those jokes, numerous times. I mean there were a few new funny moments strewn about here and there that I chuckled at, but really I didn't actually laugh.

I hate to say this but...I truly hated this movie. It was way more raunchy and crude than I was expecting. These crude jokes, and they get really bad, are so poorly written and just tossed into the story and they make NO sense with the characters or with the screenplay. The comedy seemed so forced to me. Was it just an excuse to re-team Golden Globe Nominee
Will Ferrell (Stranger Than Fiction) and Oscar Nominee John C. Reilly (Chicago)? Maybe. You figure they could have come up with better material for these two big stars, but sometimes you can't hold your breath. They both are very good in their delivery and timing, and both are good, proven actors; but this script did not work for them. The most annoying part of this movie was Adam Scott (The Return) and Kathryn Hahn (TV's Crossing Jordan). Scott plays one of the most cliched and obnoxious characters in recent comedy film history. By the end when he starts talking, I start sighing from frustration. He was terrible. Even worse was Hahn. Her character...I don't even know where to begin. She was so disgusting and pointless and that's really all I want to say about her.

I recommend this movie to people who love this acting tandem and who love to laugh at raunch. It's just not my cup of tea, especially when it is done as weak as this movie. Have I lost my funny bone? I may never know.




CURRENT MIKEY @ THE MOVIES AWARDS NOMINATIONS:



  • TBD

To view this films red-band trailer, click this link: Step Brothers

*This is the 72nd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment