Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bottle Shock



Rated PG-13

Running time: 1 hr 50 mins

Cast:

Alan Rickman
Chris Pine
Bill Pullman
Rachel Taylor
Freddy Rodriguez

Critical consensus:

**1/2 out of *****
(46% Fresh Rating!)

Matt's take:

Coming Soon....

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

** out of *****






The premise:

The story of the early days of California wine making featuring the now infamous, blind Paris wine tasting of 1976 that has come to be known as "Judgment of Paris".

MY REVIEW


I'll be completely honest, I didn't stay for the entire length of the film. I believe we walked out of the theater roughly 15 minutes before the film concluded. Not because it was an awful film of pure torture, but because we had plans to sneak into a film that WAS awful and pure torture. Where do our priorities lie? What can you do though. Due to this however, I will be fair and make this review short.

Bottle Shock is a slow moving film labeled as a comedy, but isn't very funny at all. I don't even see where the humor was supposed to be. Maybe it was too smart and too witty for my brain to understand. I may never really know. The story itself lacks any interesting or engaging qualities. Honestly, how in depth can you get with a story about a wine tasting competition? I'm sorry, but there is NO excitement in that, you aren't itching to find out how it all ends. Even though we know already how it ends, seeing as how its a true story. Were we supposed to be fascinated by this story? Maybe some rich drunks out there will love it, but for me it was a snooze fest.

The movie wasn't all bad. It had some good performances. Alan Rickman never dissapoints in my mind and here he was just what I expect of him. He was the funniest aspect of the film. He was the most interesting character in a film that lacks anything interesting. Bill Pullman kind of stood out in my opinion. I've never known him to be a great, suberb performer, but here is actually really good. Not Oscar caliber or anything, but better that what I've ever seen him do in a film. The younger cast: Chris Pine, Rachel Taylor and Freddy Rodriguez all stood their ground and did a fine job. The performances were definitely the best part of this film.

Overall, I wouldn't suggest seeing the film, but you can if you want. For me the film just felt hollow and pointless.

To view this films theatrical trailer, click this link: Bottle Shock

*This is the 93rd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment