Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Brideshead Revisited



Rated PG-13

Running time: 2 hrs 3 mins

Cast:

Matthew Goode
Hayley Atwell
Ben Whishaw
Emma Thompson

Critical consensus:

*** out of *****
(68% Fresh Rating!)

Matt's take:
B-


Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:

**1/2 out of *****





The premise:


Based on Evelyn Waugh's 1945 classic British novel, Brideshead Revisited is a poignant story of forbidden love and the loss of innocence set in England prior to the Second World War.

MY REVIEW

Coming in to this film, I knew nothing about it, I never even saw a preview for the movie. All I was told was that it looked like a knockoff of the film Atonement. To those who read my reviews and know me, you would know that Atonement was my choice as the best film of 2008...by far. It was a beautiful and haunting tale of love and regret. Brideshead Revisited is NO Atonement.

The story seemed to be all over the place.
Matthew Goode's (The Lookout) character is introduced to a wealthy family that isn't quite perfect. First he meets the flamboyant Sebastian, played by Ben Whishaw (I'm Not There). Sebastian is clearly a homosexual, or at least going throuh a "gay phase". Yet Goode finds a friend in him and he grows to love him deeply as a friend. Then we are introduced to the other two prominent members of the family: Julia played by Hayley Atwell and Lady Marchmain played by Oscar winner Emma Thompson (Howards End, Sense & Sensibility). This family is pretty disturbed. Mommy dearest is a DEVOUT Catholic woman and almost forces it upon her children. Sebastian is clearly gay (and has the hots for Goode) and Julia calls herself the family "shadow".

The relationships were bizzare in this film. Goode and Whishaw share some moments that would make you believe Goode is also gay, or at least experimenting. He at times looks longingly into Sebastians eyes, they swim completely nude together and frolic about, and yes they even share a momentary kiss. There were clear gay undertones to this film, but never seemed to be a huge issue with his devout Catholic mother. Then Goode falls in love with Julia.....and thats what the rest of the movie tends to be about. I don't know, I just felt the story confused me to much. It was very slow paced, which normally isn't a problem for me, but the story didn't captivate me in the least so the it was a problem.

The film centered around religion and catholism a lot. Honestly, that was probably the best aspect of the story for me. It's always such a touchy subject isn't it? But Thompson's character relies on it, she loves God very much and theres nothing wrong with that. Yet she lets it control her life and the life of her children, and that causes some of the films best controversy. So I just wanted to mention that. I thought it was done rather tastefully, if that makes sense.

The performances were all good. The two main guys were very effective. The leading lady was pretty average. The only one I truly loved was Emma Thompson. I thought she was quite brilliant in the film. I've always loved her as an actress and she can almost play anything. She was a very subdued kind of nut job in this film, and boy was she great at it.

So me personally...I didn't like it all that much. A little too boring, a little to much going on, and the ending dragged on for 20 or so minutes and just needed to stop. It has a classy and beautiful look, wonderful set designs and costuming, good performances, but lacked in a captivating story for my liking.

To view this films theatrical trailer, click this link: Brideshead Revisited

*This is the 92nd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment