Search This Blog

Friday, October 3, 2008

Finding Amanda



Rated R


Running time: 1 hr 30mins


Cast:




**1/2 out of *****
(38% Fresh Rating!)

Matt's Take:


Has Not Viewed

Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating
:


***1/2 out of *****


The premise:


A television producer with a penchant for drinking and gambling is sent to Las Vegas to convince his troubled niece to enter rehab.


MY REVIEW



Finding Amanda is a suprising little dark comedy. When you initially see the preview for this movie, you think you are getting yourself into some creepy story about an older man having the hots for his younger niece. Throughout the film I was getting nervous that was the direction the movie was going to take, but thank the heavens it didn't go there. Essentially this movie is about a man, who through the help of his Vegas prostitue niece, learns it isn't all just about him in the long run.

The movie has quite a charming little tale to tell, one that I found incredibly entertaining. I didn't realize how much I'd be laughing when I started the movie. This had a hillarious screenplay. The subject material could have been taken more seriously, but I'm glad they didn't go that route. Sometimes when you have a story like this, it's good to throw some humor into it, just to know people still are human through all their hardships. And the comedy was smart, it wasn't dumbed down raunch humor we see so often now in movies. Heck all you have to do in movies these days is say the word "boobs" and all the young guys in the audience laugh hysterically. There may have been a little filth throughout this one, but it was the good kind. If that makes any sense at all.


The performances were very suprising too. I honestly have never taken Matthew Broderick (The Cable Guy, The Producers) all that seriously as an actor but he really proved me wrong here. I thought he was very charming, very funny, and you really felt for this character. Just a great job! Also totally shocked by young actress Brittany Snow (Hairspray, Prom Night). You think when she chooses movies like Prom Night so early in her career, you just don't think she is takingt his acting thing seriously. But again, I'm completely proven wrong. She was fantastic I thought. Not anything Oscar worthy, but really a suprisingly stellar turn on her behalf. I also like to mention Maura Tierney (TV's ER, Liar Liar). I have always been a big fan of hers, and I'm afraid not a lot of people know who she is. That really has to change. She doesn't have a huge role in this movie, but at least her character is finally important to a films story that she is in. And really whenever she was on screen, she was just brilliant. Really, really good job!



Finding Amanda has something for almost everyone. I don't recommend it to everyone because it does have sort of a touchy subject material and some filthy dialog that doesn't always appeal to all movie goers. But really, this movie is a fun, cute little flick that I personally found very entertaining.


To view this film's theatrical trailer, click this link: Finding Amanda

*This is the 122nd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment