Search This Blog

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Nights in Rodanthe



Rated PG-13


Running time: 1 hr 37 mins


Cast:




**1/2 out of *****
(27% Fresh Rating!)



Has Not Viewed


Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating:


**1/2 out of *****






The Premise:


A doctor (Gere) who is traveling to see his estranged son sparks with an unhappily married woman (Lane) at a North Carolina inn.


MY REVIEW



I made a promise to one of my very good female friends, Crystal, that I would see this with her. I owe her somewheres around three chick flicks, so now I'm paying my debt. I didn't want to see this chick flick of all chick flick movies, I was expecting it to be a total predictable snooze fest. In all honesty, Nights in Rodanthe isn't all that bad of a movie.

The film is actually beautifully shot, has a wonderful and relaxing feel to it. The musical scoring is superb. The direction of the film was all quite stunning. Listen, don't take my opinion of the movie to heart. But if I'm being honest, the main reason I didn't love this movie is because it's just another sappy romance movie. I appreciate the fact that it wasn't a silly romantic comedy, but instead a romantic drama. The characters were very real. The story was pretty down to Earth. I just don't get much from a movie like this. I've seen enough of them to know what movie love is all about: a man and a woman can fall DEEPLY in love in three days. That's great for the movies, and all the girls who love them, just for me they leave no impact.

Richard Gere (Chicago, Pretty Woman) and Oscar nominee Diane Lane (Unfaithful) re-team from the film Unfaithful. Actually they do make quite a stunning film couple, even with Gere's 70 year old looks. When they are on screen together, you truly believe them as troubled middle aged people who just want to discover true love. These movies don't always have to be about teenagers or college students, you know older people know how to love too. Moreso than the younger stupid characters in most romantic films. And both deliver very good performances.

The movie tends to get a tad predictable and tad bit depressing. You could hear tears flowing from all the girls in the audiences. I mean, yes it was sad, but I just don't cry THAT much in movies. But never be afraid to shed tears in movies (Guys!), don't be ashamed of it...it just makes you that much more human (and I'm sure the girls would love it!). But yeah, Rodanthe is a well made film, with an almost typical love story screenplay. Now I think people who loves these movies will just LOVE this one. These films just aren't for me, and that honestly was the only major downfall in my reviewing of the movie.

To view this film's theatrical trailer, click this link: Nights in Rodanthe

*This is the 124th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment