Search This Blog

Friday, October 3, 2008

STRAIGHT-TO-DVD SPOTLIGHT: Tortured



Rated R
Running time
: 1 hr 47 mins
DVD Release Date:
September 16th


Cast:



MY REVIEW













The movie Tortured is almost like pure torture to watch. So I guess the title's suggestion worked. This movie is a straight-to-dvd version of all those great little crime family infiltrated by an under cover agent, types of movies we've seen on the big screen before. Difference being, I don't really know what this movie was about. I understood they were trying to weed out the big boss who we never see (named Ziggy), but I didn't get why. OK yes, I know from what the film told, Ziggy is some big scary criminal. But I don't think the movie ever really told us any true backstory to this crime syndicate. Never said what exact crimes they commit to make them so evil. Yes, there was drug trafficking I suppose...but is that really why Ziggy is so monsterous? Maybe I just zoned out one to many times.

This movie was pretty much a snoozefest for me personally. There was virtually no real excitement or tension. This won't apply to every person who watches the movie, but I saw the ending coming from a mile away. Now I hate it when people say that in big movies, because anyone can claim they saw a big twist coming, but have no proof to back it up. But when you watch this movie, and you watch the characters interact, you just HAVE to know how it ends, and who Ziggy really is. The story just didn't play out as well as it could have. It could have been told a lot better with a bigger budget, bigger actors, and a bigger screen.

I'm not saying Oscar nominee Laurence Fishburn (What's Love Got to Do With it, The Matrix series) isn't a big name, but does everyone really know who he is? Crowds of people don't flock to see Fishburn movies, I'm sorry. Don't get me wrong, he was definitely the best performer in this movie, he just doesn't have the big, BIG name. He's no Johnny Depp. Oscar nominee James Cromwell (Babe: Pig in the City, LA Confidential)is another recognizable face, but again no one really knows his that well. He's typically a good actor and he does well here, but a big laughable at times.

Basically a few good performances is really all that truly made this anywhere near an appealing movie for me. Doesn't mean everyone would hate it, it just wasn't for me.

MIKEY @ THE MOVIES OFFICIAL RATING
: *1/2 out of *****


To view this films trailer, click this link: Tortured


*This is the 123rd new film I've seen and reviewed this year.


*This film is now on DVD.

*Straight to DVD movies do not qualify for my awards
.

No comments:

Post a Comment