Search This Blog

Saturday, September 20, 2008

MADE FOR TV SPOTLIGHT: Recount




Rated NR
Running time: 1 hr 55 mins


TV Release Date: May 25th on HBO





Cast
:



















MY REVIEW



Personally, I know virtually nothing about the political world. I'm not even registered to vote. I know almost nothing about the current presidential candidates. I know, it's sad. I just feel I'm incapable of understanding all the crap is thrown out when it comes to this sort of thing. It just all goes way above my head. I just want to live my life. My own life. I don't want to invest all my time in politics. Some would say that these are the people who ultimately control my life, in a sense. But really I just don't care. Call me a jerk. Call me ignorant. I just don't care. Sorry.

Enough of that. Recount is the true story about the 2000 presidential elections or moreover, the big fiasco of the Florida recount. Now when this was going on, of course I heard about it, I knew exactly what the issue was, I just didn't pay that much attention to the details. This film has totally filled me in on what I need to know. What I liked about it was that it wasn't overly political. When it came down to it, this wasn't about the candidates attacking eachother; this was about the battle between both parties to win the state of Florida which leads to winning the presidency. The movie is riddled with courtroom scenes, mainly the supreme court and I love that sort of thing. This movie was very easy for me to understand, being an anti-politics kind of guy. The story, the writing, the directing, all of it was quite powerful. I never once got bored and felt like taking a break from it. It was engaging and I did learn a thing or two.

For me, speaking about this as a film, the best part about it was the incredible performances. The made for HBO movie received a total of 5 acting nominations and all deservedly so. These performances were so brilliant. Namely Oscar nominated and winning actors Kevin Spacy (Usual Suspects, American Beauty) Tom Wilkinson (In the Bedroom, Michael Clayton) and Laura Dern (Rambling Roses also from Jurrassic Park). These three actors brought some major punch to these roles. Wilkinson plays the "bad guy" or at least from the filmakers point of view he was, and he did it so very well. Spacy is always amazing, and almost never fails...almost. I was a bit suprised by Dern, never took her that seriously as an actress. But she really did herself up with this portrayl of Katherine Harris. She definitely immersed herself in that role.

Recount is a solid movie with wonderful performances and brilliant filmaking. Maybe it's not for everyone, because it can potentially be a "borefest" to some people. I thought it would be to me, who again is not in to politics whatsoever, but I found myself glued to the screen. Nice movie!



Mikey @ The Movies Official Rating: ***1/2 out of *****



To view this film's trailer, click this link: Recount



*This is the 115th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment