Search This Blog

Saturday, September 6, 2008

STRAIGHT-TO-DVD SPOTLIGHT: Watching the Detectives






Rated NR

Running time: 1 hr 30 mins
DVD Release Date: August 12th

Cast:

Cillian Murphy




MY REVIEW


I'm a bit suprised this was a straight-to-DVD movie. Not because it was good, but because it wasn't cheesily made. I really couldn't tell you what the point of the movie was. It's about an owner of a piss poor little video rental store whos life is made a little more interesting with a new girlfriend who is a tad crazy. Really not that interesting of a storyline, and I think that's why it was straight-to-dvd. It made an appearance at some film festivals, but never recieved any mainstream theatrical releases.

I don't know why this movie was called "Watching the Detectives". It had nothing to do with detectives. They mentioned a few detective films, and the crazy girlfriend does some spying on the video store guy, but the title just lost me. I didn't notice any reason for it to be a symbolic or metaphorical title either. The movie itself was just really weak. A pretty decent performance from Lucy Liu (Kill Bill, Charlies Angels)but just an awful one from Cillian Murphy (Batman Begins, 28 Days Later). I don't know what the deal was with him, but he had some scenes that were just terrible and unbearable to watch.

The story lacked any good entertaining moments. I laughed once or twice at some genuine funny moments, but the rest of the story was so bland and uninteresting. The characters were written so badly and they showed in the performances. We don't know why Lucy Liu is a total nut job and we don't know what inspires Cillian Murphy to keep goin after her. Whatever, just another random movie in the books. I suggest no one waste their time on it, I did that for you.



MIKEY @ THE MOVIES OFFICIAL RATING
: *1/2 out of *****



*
This is the 97th new film I've seen and reviewed this year.

*This film is now on DVD.

*Straight-to-DVD films do not qualify for my awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment