Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Random Thought of the Day: Actors at Work

This is just a random observation that popped into my head just now. I love how actors refer to their craft as "work". They say things like "I was at work on the set the other day..." or "...my job..."

If you "work" at a "place" where everyone one else in the country envies what you do and dreams of the day they can be in your shoes...that isn't "work". Work isn't a place where you go a few weeks at a time, or maybe a few months at a time and stand in front of a camera for 18 hours a day and get pampered and take home a check with seven figures. I don't care if their day is "tiring" and "exhausting". They are playing pretend all day and a glorified version of dress up. While the rest of us schlumps are working 8-5 at $10 an hour to put cheap food in our stomachs and small roof over our heads.

Actors should not call what they do work. I don't know what they should call it, but it almost sounds like an insult...or is just me who thinks that? It's my thought process that entertainers should do what they do because they have a passion for it and love doing it not for them, but for us. Those are the people I respect in the business. But I guess it's hard to be humble and modest when you're in the "biz".

"But Mike, you glorify movies and television. You pay to see it, and write your silly little blog all about it. Doesn't that make you a hypocrite?" I'm sure it does, but I don't care. Yes, I LOVE to go to the movies because I honestly feel movies and television are an important ingredient in our lives. I don't care if some of you think that sounds ridiculous. Movies for me, are an escape. I can immerse myself in another world and other people's problems (fake ones at that) for a couple hours and ignore my actual life for a short time. I think everyone should have that right to escape. Movies, TV, music, sports...it's all a vital part of keeping us grounded and happy. But when the people who "work" in those industries don't care about the people they do it for...then it's hard to respect it. Do you know what I mean??

I'll never stop watching their "work" but it doesn't mean I have to respect the people involved. I'll continue to shovel over my piddly money to keep them in their jobs. I'm only saying they shouldn't act like they are Gods and that they have it rough. I would love to see actors come right out and say it..."I don't work for a living, I play make believe for a living and get paid a lot of money to do it, but I do it for you, the working class, to keep you entertained". It would be an honest statement. It would be one I could respect. I wouldn't look down on the people I love to watch. I want to be an equal with them, in the fact that we are all people. Holy crap, where am I going with this? Ha, I have no idea. I go off on tangents way to easy.

If they could just be honest about what they do...and not pretend like their lives are hard to wake up to each day...then everyone would be happy. It won't happen though. This random thought turned into a long winded pointless lashing out. Oh well, too bad they haven't invented a way to delete typed words yet.

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment