Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Who is Mikey?

To any of my readers who don't know me, I wanted to take a brief moment to tell everyone who I am...and what I look like (pictured above).

I'm Mike, I'm about to turn 27 years old on March 29th and I've lived in Phoenix now for almost 9 years. I was born and raised in Southern California, more specifically Oceanside. But I like to tell people I'm from San Diego because it sounds nicer. Oceanside is a wonderful city though, don't get me wrong. However, Phoenix is my home now and I've grown to love it here. I've made so many wonderful friends that I will love and cherish forever.

I've had several (and I mean SEVERAL) jobs since I've moved here. My first job ever was working on the overnight crew at Toy's R' Us. I worked there for 2 1/2 years before I walked out on them after being pretty annoyed with how they were runnin' things. It's there that I met one of my besties, Katie, who I'm still very close friends with today! To which then I became good friends with her brother Andy to which then I became friends with their whole family, including their mom Julie. Julie and I started the Above the Norm blog a few years back for our love in the paranormal. I've since moved away from it because I was going through some rough times. She has kept it going VERY strong and has a huge following. But now I'm back to blogging with my movie/tv blog.

I've also worked at Wells Fargo as a teller (for 1 1/2 years), Arizona Federal Credit Union then found my niche in call centers. Worked at Oakwood Temporary Housing for a year and half. I got to talk to the occasional famous person. For instance I spoke to Corey Haim a few days before he died. This is no joke. He was staying at an Oakwood apartment called Toluca Hills when he died. Look it up if you want. Oakwood Toluca is where Jay Leno does his jay walking skit sometimes. I also got to talk to some Padre baseball players including Tony Gwynn Jr. Which was AWESOME!! 3 or 4 jobs later, including the baby store Buy Buy Baby, I now work at Deer Valley Credit Union and I've been there since January. I'm loving it, because it pays well, it's full time and it's an easy peasy call center job.

That is where I normally blog as well. At work. I have my own desk, and our call center is pretty slow so I have a LOT of down time. I'm able to post maybe 2 to 3 articles a day if I have something to write about. I really love to write, but I know I'm not the most skilled at writing and articulating fancy words. I feel using big words to review TV and movies is a bit silly anyway. People just want to know what a normal movie goer thought of the movie, they aren't wanting to read an article from a Harvard graduate for God sakes. I generally write from how I feel, and I don't feel fancy words. So I'm sorry for you if you are seeking a well educated film reviewer, but that ain't me boy.

I have a passion for film and television, even though I usually have a strongly negative view towards the players in the entertainment system. I may not like most of them, but dammit, I love their work. I love to watch the good and the bad. I will willingly go to a movie I know will be utter shit, because even a bad movie can be good entertainment. I'll give any movie or show a shot, because you never know when you will find that diamond in the rough. What kind of genre is my favorite? Eh, I don't have one in particular but I am a sucker for a good drama. I love movies with deep and thoughtful storytelling. Great dialog will win this big guy over. That's why I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino. No man writes words on a screenplay better than he.

Anyway, I don't want to ramble to much. I just wanted to write a brief overview of Mikey the film reviewer. I'm not a critic, I don't even like that title. I review movies based solely off how I felt towards it. Don't ever read my reviews and base your decision to see it off of that. I'm just giving my opinion on whatever film or TV show is in question. So thanks for reading everyone. I only have two followers, but I know I get a ton of readers. I average maybe 75 views a day. Which I know is not a lot compared to most of the big wig blogs, but it's a lot for me. I'm nearing 2,000 views in only two months, so that's huge. It means people are finding and reading my blog and it means people are coming back. That's all I ask for. This is so much fun for me, you have no idea. I'm just a nice dude who likes to share my opinion, and if you don't agree with it, that's just fine...it's why we are human.

Other facts about me:

I'm 5'11
I have a wonderful doggy named Roxy. She is a cocker-terrier and I love her to death!
I was once featured in the local San Diego TV guide for Childrens hospital.
I was born nearly dead, but thankfully I had a good doctor who saved my life.
I suffered from a rare kidney disorder called Nyphrotic Syndrome for the first few years of my life.
I had/have a seizure disorder than started when I was 16. It's been a while since I've had one though.
I am bi-polar, but not one of those extreme ones a lot of people talk about. It's not fun to live with, but I cope.
I have a brother (Shawn) and two sisters (Kelly and Tricia).
I have 8 nieces and nephews (Jimmy, Austin, Madison, Grace, Bella, Ronan, Thomas and Connor).
I was an uncle when I was ten...and I now have a nearly 17 year old nephew...I'm only 26! GAH!
I am a complete neat freak. Cleanliness is very important to me. Everything has to be in order! I love to clean!
I love to go on ghost hunts. Going to Bisbee is a blast. I've also been to The Whaley House in San Diego, and to the Queen Mary in Long Beach Cali to hunt ghosts!
I'm gay - holler, ha!
3 years ago I was 305 pounds. As of today I'm 229 pounds and still losing weight.



-Me, 3 years ago at 305 lbs.                                  

4 comments:

  1. Blog looks gorgeous and so do you! You need to give yourself lots of credit for your amazing talent at writing reviews and your permanent weight loss. Both do not come easy to other people. You are unique and as interesting as your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for those very uplifting words of encouragement! I just have a hard time recognizing that I'm really good at anything. Maybe that makes me humble, I dunno. But no, losing weight does not come easy, it's a LOT of damn work, but is so worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I as your brother love that the family was only thrown in as foot notes. ok i wont spend five min making jokes but say something nice for once....
    truth is i am very proud of you i think you have fought hard to be where you are and havent given up. it was very weird calling you the other day for advice on a diet seeing is how im the older one but it was your advice that has made me feel like im gonna be ok and turn all these bad things around so i thank you and keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, well I didn't see it as a footnote. The article was supposed to be about me as a person and that list was just facts about the other things in my life.

    But thank you for your nice comment! It means a lot! I'm here to help you whenever and however I can. I don't have much life experience in order to offer advice on much of anything. Mainly cause I've led a very uneventful (but good) life. I'm no expert in dieting, but I figured out how to do it and do it right and safe. So I can totally offer my "wisdom" in that field. Call me or message me anytime about it!

    ReplyDelete