Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2008

27 Dresses

27 Dresses (Rated PG-13)

Running Time: 1 hr 47 mins


Cast:


Kathrine Heigl
James Marsden
Edward Burns
Malin Akerman


Critical consensus (www.rottentomatoes.com):


** 1/2 out of *****


My consensus:


*** out of *****



The premise: After serving as a bridesmaid 27 times, a young woman wrestles with the idea of standing by her sister's side as her sibling marries the man she's secretly in love with.

My review: This is a pretty standard and overall, predictable chick flick. I'm no fan of the genre. Yet this movie had a few saving graces. One, the writing made this movie work more than your typical chick sob fest flick. I think the dialogue was more intelligent that I'm used to seeing in the genre. Two, Kathrine Heigl (Knocked Up, Grey's Anatomy) is actually quite a good and engaging actress. She too, along with the quirky James Marsden (X-Men, Enchanted), made the movie a better than average girl movie, up until the end. It falls flat in the end, not going to lie. 100% predictable. Come on chick flick writers, BE BRAVE!!

My advice: A slightly hesitant, See it!


*This film is now on DVD.


No comments:

Post a Comment