Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Leatherheads

Leatherheads (Rated PG-13)

Running time: 1 hr 54 mins


Cast:


George Clooney
Rene Zelwegger
John Krasinski


Critical consensus (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/):


*** out of *****


My consensus:


*** out of *****



The premise: A romantic comedy set in the world of 1920s football, where the owner of a professional team drafts a strait-laced college sensation, only to watch his new coach fall for his fiancée.

My review: This year seems to have it's share of great, but forgettable dramatic films. This is one of them. It's a great movie. It's advertised as a comedy, but I believe it to be way more of a drama. As a dramatic film, set in the 1920's, it works. Better than it would have as a funny movie. The movie has all the right indredients: beautiful set pieces, wonderful costuming, the look and feel of the 1920's. I love period dramas. The cast is brilliant here, even Rene Zellwegger whom I've never been a major fan of. But she's standable here. Finally. John Krasinski proved that he can act in a film. I really enjoyed him here. I like him more as Jim on "The Office" of course, but he has successfully shown that he has some acting chops beyond NBC Thursday night comedy. It's just, this movie also leaves no lasting impact afterwards. When you walk out of the theater, you kind of forget what the movie was about.

My advice: A one time See it!

No comments:

Post a Comment