Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Be Kind Rewind

Be Kind Rewind (Rated PG-13)

Running time: 1 hr 41 mins


Cast:


Mos Def
Jack Black
Danny Glover


Critical consensus (www.rottentomatoes.com):


***1/2 out of *****


My consensus:


**** out of *****





The premise: A man whose brain becomes magnetized unintentionally destroys every tape in his friend's video store. In order to satisfy the store's most loyal renter, an aging woman with signs of dementia, the two men set out to remake the lost films.


My review: This film was a very pleasant suprise for me. When I saw Jack Black (whom I've never been a fan of) and Mos Def (16 Blocks) were in a movie together, I cringed. With Mos Def's annoying squeaky voice and Jack Blacks tired and outlandish attempts to get attention from people, I thought I was heading for disaster. I was wrong. Be Kind Rewind is a very well written, and very well performed dramedy (drama and comedy) . I thought its quirky little premise was mildly original and it played out very well. And yes, it was funny too. Even Jack Black had me laughing. Their recreations of some classic movies were classic and timeless in their own bizzare ways. I would honestly watch these recreations. The film ends up being a very heartfelt almost sweet movie, that I would tell anyone to see.


My advice: See it!





No comments:

Post a Comment