Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fools Gold

Fools Gold (Rated PG-13)

Running time: 1 hr 53 mins


Cast:


Matthew McConaughey
Kate Hudson
Donald Sutherland
Alexis Dziena


Critical consensus (www.rottentomatoes.com):


*1/2 out of *****


My consensus:


** out of *****



The premise: A new clue to the whereabouts of a lost treasure rekindles a married couple's sense of adventure -- and their estranged romance.

My review: Look, I just needed to watch a movie by the end of the month (June) so I can say I've seen 50 new 2008 films after 6 months. So I turned on my Cox On Demand, and just chose Fool's Gold, knowing full well it wasn't going to be a good movie. I'll keep this review short. Fool's Gold is a pretty weak movie with no enganging characters. It almost works as a treasure hunting movie, except this bland love story is sewn in between the seems of the treasure story, which makes it fall flat. Were we supposed to be more concerned about these two people or the treasure? I may never know. The treasure story was a little bit interesting however, which is why this movie got 2 stars from me instead of 1. Some pretty nifty action scenes, some cool explosions, an intersting death scene or two, but overall, just a weak, standard movie. Screenplay was cheesy McGee, and the directing was nothing to marvel over. Matthew McConaughey is getting on my nerves, I'm tired of this persona he keeps playing...which I think is real self. I don't know. I do however love Kate Hudson, she was the only true good thing about this movie. She was funny, and just solid as usual. But she ultimately couldn't salvage (no pun intended) this foolish movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment