Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Stop-Loss

Stop-Loss (Rated R)

Running time: 1 hr 51 mins


Cast:


Ryan Phillipe
Abbie Cornish
Channing Tatum
Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Critical consensus (www.rottentomatoes.com):

*** out of *****

My consensus:

*** out of *****


The premise: A veteran soldier returns from his completed tour of duty in Iraq, only to find his life turned upside down when he is arbitrarily ordered to return to field duty by the Army.

My review: This movie falls into the same category as "The Bank Job". It's a forgettable film. Which is sad, because this is actually a very good one time movie. It has a touchy subject that hits close to home to I'm sure a lot of American families. The real life anger of these families is portrayed well here in this particular story I think. I'm not 100% sure what exactly a stop-loss soldier fully is, they don't really go into details about it, but I got the jist of it. It has some great writing, very good direction, and some solid performances. Especially from Ryan Phillipe (Cruel Intentions, Crash) and yet another wonderful performance from the rising star Joseph Gordon-Levitt (The Lookout, Brick). So put all that together, and we have a really good movie. It's just, it doesn't leave any profound impact in the end, causing you to forget about it. You would think a movie with this sort of story should leave a lasting impact on you...swing and a miss there I guess.

My advice: See it!

No comments:

Post a Comment